Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com> on 2007/02/08 05:30:48 UTC

Purchase Orders and Requirements

Hi

I'm finally getting around to playing with purchasing requirements, and
it seems that the current schemes are not well setup for the way we
operate.

As I understand the current main options:

STOCK_QOH: when qoh goes under minimum stock a requirement is created for the reorder qty.
STOCK_ATP: when atp goes under minimum stock a requirement is created for the reorder qty.
ATP: creates a requirement on ATP levels and links it to the order item that caused the reservations

Regardless, I wonder if there isn't another way at approaching this whole thing
that might help reduce inventory levels and number of orders while keeping
everything in stock...

Rather than just working with a reorder quantity, include a target quantity or
max quantity of stock allowed to be ordered.

When making an order from a supplier, order all items that you can while staying
below the max quantity. The current enumeration field is "Main Supplier", but it
might help to create a new field, perhaps something like "Auto_Order"

A question is whether it would be better to work from qoh, or atp. Can anyone shed
light on what might work better, or if we would want to support both?

Rather than tracking and checking for requirements during every order placed,
work from a timetable. That way, an order could automatically be placed including
as many things as were needed for delivery from that supplier all at once than
having separate requirements for different items.

E-mail alerts. The requirements service could create an inventory report
that could be seen by qualified users of the system, and/or be e-mailed to
the list of appropriate personnel.

I haven't thought through what features would be optimum for the
manufacturing process...   Does any of this spark any more ideas?

Thanks

--
Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           DanielKunkel@BioWaves.com
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Illusion-Optical.com
http://www.Card-Offer.com      http://www.RackWine.com
http://www.JokesBlonde.com     http://www.Brain-Fun.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Purchase Orders and Requirements

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Daniel,

I'm not sure to understand if what you are suggesting is just a wish
list of features that you would like to see implemented in the system
sooner or later, or it is something you are working on (or plan to work
on) and would like to contribute or something that your company would be
interested in sponsoring (if this last option is true, the upcoming
developer conference would probably be the right place to try to setup a
working group).
In general however I think that some of your requirements seem pretty
specific (and I agree with most of Scott's comments on this), even if
there is definitely room for many improvements to the existing
requirement generation processes that can lead to aggregate
requirements/orders.
However, for more advanced requirement generation strategies, I always
strongly recommend to look at the existing MRP features (but also there
there is room for many improvements).

Jacopo

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
The feature set that Daniel is describing is _often used in small
business where minimum/maximum levels are set by gut instead of
historical/data projected needs.  Small businesses are further lulled
into this type of ordering because of "free freight" incentives offered
by their vendors.  While this may not be a best practice for a company
where this would fluctuate their inventory by hundreds of thousands of
dollars, it is the best practice in a business where the practice would
only fluctuate inventory levels by a couple thousand dollars.  There is
a tipping point in size where a company would change their inventory
strategy.
I think we should remember that and ensure that we're extensible enough
to be able to handle both scenarios (which i think we are) but that we
incorporate various settings to configure the various strategies.

Posted by Daniel Kunkel <Da...@BioWaves.com>.
Excellent Points.

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
Hi Daniel