Posted to builds@apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/26 01:22:36 UTC

Installing virtualenv to build slaves

Hi builds@,
I'm attempting to configure a new Jenkins Job for Apache Open Climate
Workbench master branch [0].
I am trying to achieve a number of tasks as part of the build namely;
 * test the installation procedure so we can verify it is working smoothly
 * run some unit tests
 * build the documentation and make this available

It is a Python codebase and in order to do the above I need to install a
dependency trail using pip, easy_install, etc.
I've tried using pip to install virtualenv however I am running in to
permission issues.
Can someone advise on how other Python projects are working these
challenges and how I can configure the build properly?
Thanks in advance for any info.
Lewis

[0]
https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Climate/job/climate_master_build/

--
*Lewis*

Re: Installing virtualenv to build slaves

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 1/25/15 7:22 PM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:
> Hi builds@,
> I'm attempting to configure a new Jenkins Job for Apache Open Climate
> Workbench master branch [0].
> I am trying to achieve a number of tasks as part of the build namely;
>  * test the installation procedure so we can verify it is working smoothly
>  * run some unit tests
>  * build the documentation and make this available
>
> It is a Python codebase and in order to do the above I need to install a
> dependency trail using pip, easy_install, etc.
> I've tried using pip to install virtualenv however I am running in to
> permission issues.
> Can someone advise on how other Python projects are working these
> challenges and how I can configure the build properly?
> Thanks in advance for any info.
> Lewis
>
> [0]
> https://builds.apache.org/view/A-D/view/Climate/job/climate_master_build/

Apache Allura is written in python, and our virtualenv setup for Jenkins is like
this:

rm -rf ".allura-venv"
if [ ! -f virtualenv-*/virtualenv.py ]; then
    wget --no-check-certificate
https://pypi.python.org/packages/source/v/virtualenv/virtualenv-1.9.1.tar.gz || exit
    tar xvfz virtualenv-*.tar.gz
fi
python virtualenv-*/virtualenv.py .allura-venv
. .allura-venv/bin/activate

And after that, the `pip` inside of the virtualenv is available to install
further packages as needed.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal