Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hetesi Tamás <mo...@hotmail.com> on 2004/07/06 20:01:15 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache Service Monitor for non-Apache services

Hi!

Is it possible to monitor services other than Apache with the Apache
Service Monitor? I find it a nifty program, but viewing the status of
the single Apache process on my development workstation is not much of a
purpose. So, is it possible, e.g. to view the status of MySQL from the
monitor?

Thanks in advance.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Service Monitor for non-Apache services

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Hetesi Tamás"

> Is it possible to monitor services
> other than Apache with the Apache
> Service Monitor?

Sure why not, one has the source.

Try adding the service/process one needs
to the C source code.

Below is a free Microsoft C/C++ compiler.

The Visual C++ Toolkit 2003, version 1.01
(released July 6, 2004) supplants version 1.0
(released April 16, 2004).

<quote>

The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes
the core tools developers need to compile and link
C++ based applications for Windows and the .NET
Common Language Runtime:

Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker.
These are the same compiler and linker that ship
with Visual Studio .NET 2003 Professional!

C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library,
including the Standard Template Library.  These
are the same static-link libraries included with
Visual Studio. Microsoft .NET Framework Common
Language Runtime. Visual C++ can optionally build
applications that target the Common Language
Runtime (CLR).

Sample code.  The toolkit includes four samples
designed to showcase the powerful new features of
the 2003 version, including new optimization capabilities,
features to improve code-security and robustness,
enhanced ISO C++ standards support, and the ability
to use the .NET Framework library and target the CLR.

</quote>

Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=272be09d-40bb-49fd-9cb0-4bfa122fa91b&DisplayLang=en

Or

One can quickly write up a newer monitor
using the .NET Framework.

Remember one can also use the programming
language of your desire with .NET Framework.
But the .NET Framework comes with free C++,
JScript.NET, VB.NET and the CSharp (C#) compilers.

<quote>

The System.ServiceProcess namespace provides
classes that allow you to implement, install, and
control Windows service applications. Services
are long-running executables that run without a
user interface.

</quote>

System.ServiceProcess
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemServiceProcess.asp

Service Controller Status
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemServiceProcessServiceControllerStatusClassTopic.asp

ProcessController Sample: Demonstrates Processes and Services
Monitoring
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cssample/html/vcsamProcessController.asp

HOW TO: programmatically control a
windows service using the .NET Framework
http://www.aspemporium.com/aspEmporium/cshrp/howtos/howto.asp?hid=7

NET Framework Developer Center:
SDKs, Redistributables & Service Packs
http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/downloads/updates/default.aspx

C# Tutorials
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/csref/html/vcoriCSharpTutorials.asp

Or

Create a simple plain console window
monitor by using Windows Scripting
(all Windows have this for free).

Remember one can also use the script
language of your desire with the Windows
Script Host (WSH) engines. But WSH
comes with VBScript and JScript free
versions.

Services
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/services/default.mspx

Start a Service and Its Dependents
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/services/scrsvc20.mspx

Stop a Service and Its Dependents
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/services/scrsvc22.mspx

Monitoring Services
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/services/scrsvc13.mspx

Services
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_ser_fgwg.mspx

Monitoring Service Reliability
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_ser_karn.mspx

Configure Service Start Options
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/services/scrsvc03.asp

Change Method in Class Win32_Service (used in example above)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/change_method_in_class_win32_service.asp

Managing Services Using ADSI and Windows Script Host
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b234001

Monitor Processor Use by Process
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/monitor/scrmon27.asp

Processes
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/process/default.asp

Creating and Terminating Processes
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_prc_wmdh.asp

Managing Processes
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_prc_ruah.asp

Monitoring Processes for Reliability
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_prc_evdv.asp

Monitoring Threads
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scrguide/sas_prc_kfqh.asp

MSDN - The WMI Win32_Thread Class
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_thread.asp

Monitor NTFS File Cache Performance  (XP+)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/dfs/scrdfs28.asp

Monitor Page File Use
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/dfs/scrdfs29.asp

How's My Driving? Monitoring Performance Using WMI
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnclinic/html/scripting11182003.asp

Accessing Performance Data in Script
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/accessing_performance_data_in_script.asp

Win32_PerfRawData_PerfProc_Process
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_perfrawdata_perfproc_process.asp

To see all the properties and methods available
for Win32_ Process - check all the other WMI
classes too!

MSDN - The WMI Win32_Process Class
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_process.asp

Just save the little VBScript file as whatever.vbs
and start the Windows Script by using the
command line version of the Windows Script
Host, called cscript.exe.

In a command prompt window type:
c:\cscript.exe whatever.vbs

Or

Use Windows Scripting in a HTML Application
(HTA - looks like the script is running in IE but
it is not) or just use the Internet Explorer objects.
Both can run in the Taskbar and provides
radio buttons just like the C compiled Apache
monitor program.

Working with HTML Applications
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/sas_ent_hipz.mspx

HTML Applications (HTA)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/hta/hta_node_entry.asp

MSDN, HTA Reference
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/reference/hta_ref_entry.asp

MSDN, The InternetExplorer Object
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/browser/webbrowser/reference/objects/internetexplorer.asp

HTML and DHTML Reference

General Windows Scripting information:

Script Center
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Windows 2000 System Admin Scripting Guide (online)
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/scriptguide/en-us/default.mspx

System Administration Scripting Guide - samples scripts
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=38942

Windows Script Host 5.6 documentation download
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=01592C48-207D-4BE1-8A76-1C4099D7BBB9&displaylang=en

Or

Take a peek at or download the new MSH
(Microsoft Shell beta) and see how easy this
request is (graphics and all)....

See the part called Enter the programmer

Jeffrey Snover and Jim Truher demonstrate
some of the features and capabilities of "Monad
(Monad in the new MSH)

The .NET Show: Longhorn Fundamentals
http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/episode043/default.asp

Transcript
http://msdn.microsoft.com/theshow/Episode043/Transcript.html

Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/8/f/18f8cee2-0b64-41f2-893d-a6f2295b40c8/TW04038_WINHEC2004.ppt

Installing Monad on XP or Win2ks
http://blogs.msdn.com/karstenj/archive/2004/06/25/166334.aspx

Jeff

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Service Monitor for non-Apache services

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
Hetesi Tamás wrote:
> Is it possible to monitor services other than Apache with the Apache
> Service Monitor?

Not as it is. The rule for showing a service is:

        if ((strstr(szBuf, "\\apache") != NULL)
            && strstr(szBuf, ".exe")
            && (strstr(szBuf, "--ntservice") != NULL
            || strstr(szBuf, "-k ") != NULL))

szBuf is the service's "image path". If you really want to, you could try
modifying the source to include the services you want. I'm very unsure what
the results would be.

There is also Windows' own Service Manager, which might not be as "nifty".

Regards,
Robert Andersson

Re: [users@httpd] Apache Service Monitor for non-Apache services

Posted by aman <ar...@techquotes.com>.
actually this document suggests that the apache service manager is for
apache - it does not say that it can monitor other services.
It sure seems to be for apache only.

Aman Raheja
http://www.techquotes.com

Posted by Hetesi Tamás <mo...@hotmail.com>.