Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Barbisch, Martin" <ba...@sony.de> on 2002/10/10 11:51:41 UTC

Losing memory when using removeChild()

Hello Batik users,

a few weeks ago (August 28th 2002) James McArthur wrote about a memory leak,
when modifying the contents of the SVG tree.
I am experiencing (almost) the same problem, and therefore my question is:

Suppose that I have (e.g.) a <text> node which contains some <tspan> nodes.
Now I want to remove the text node. Is it necessary to remove all of the
children (i.e. the tspans) first, or may I safely just remove the text node?
And what if I have a very deep hierarchy of nested <g> nodes?

I always thought that removing a node would also free the memory used by all
its children. But now I am not that sure about this anymore...

Any help appreciated. Cheers,

Martin