Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "A.M." <ag...@themactionfaction.com> on 2004/05/25 13:39:08 UTC

spanning columns

Hi List- I am relatively new to FO. I am trying to
create a 2-column page with text that wraps into the
next column at a position on the page. I can see it is
possible by putting a leader in as shown in one of the
Apache FOP examples, however I need to "balance" the
text in the columns. Imagine that each column's text
would then "touch" the bottom border. I would try
this with tables but then I would have to know exactly
where to break the text. Here's some ASCII art of what
I need:
|---------------------------|
|Title1         |           |
|paragraph text1|t1 continue|
|text1 text1 tex|d from prev|
|t1 text1 text1 |ious column|
|text1 text1 tex|balanced.  |
|               |           |
|Title2         |           |
|paragraph text2|t2 continue|
|text2 text2 tex|d+balance. |
|---------------------------|

I would appreciate any tips. Thanks.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
AgentM
agentm@themactionfaction.com
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Re: spanning columns

Posted by "A.M." <ag...@themactionfaction.com>.
On May 25, 2004, at 14:42, Chris Bowditch wrote:

> A.M. wrote:
>
>> Hi List- I am relatively new to FO. I am trying to
>> create a 2-column page with text that wraps into the
>> next column at a position on the page. I can see it is
>> possible by putting a leader in as shown in one of the
>> Apache FOP examples, however I need to "balance" the
>> text in the columns.
>
> do you mean;
>
> <fo:block span="all"><fo:leader/></fo:block>
Exactly. I've been toying with this and I don't understand how FOP
decides where to place the leader- making the break. Is there some
attribute to shift it up or down without adding unnecessary attributes
to the leading block ?(I guess I could mark half the text as keep in
column but I'd rather have more control over the leader.)

>> Imagine that each column's text
>> would then "touch" the bottom border. I would try
>> this with tables but then I would have to know exactly
>> where to break the text. Here's some ASCII art of what
>> I need:
>> |---------------------------|
>> |Title1         |           |
>> |paragraph text1|t1 continue|
>> |text1 text1 tex|d from prev|
>> |t1 text1 text1 |ious column|
>> |text1 text1 tex|balanced.  |
>> |               |           |
>> |Title2         |           |
>> |paragraph text2|t2 continue|
>> |text2 text2 tex|d+balance. |
>> |---------------------------|
>
> Column balancing isnt implemented properly in FOP 0.20.5 I'm afraid.
> You can experiment by adding some white space after the first lot of
> text.
Oy.

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

Re: spanning columns

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
A.M. wrote:

> Hi List- I am relatively new to FO. I am trying to
> create a 2-column page with text that wraps into the
> next column at a position on the page. I can see it is
> possible by putting a leader in as shown in one of the
> Apache FOP examples, however I need to "balance" the
> text in the columns.

do you mean;

<fo:block span="all"><fo:leader/></fo:block>

> Imagine that each column's text
> would then "touch" the bottom border. I would try
> this with tables but then I would have to know exactly
> where to break the text. Here's some ASCII art of what
> I need:
> |---------------------------|
> |Title1         |           |
> |paragraph text1|t1 continue|
> |text1 text1 tex|d from prev|
> |t1 text1 text1 |ious column|
> |text1 text1 tex|balanced.  |
> |Title2         |           |
> |paragraph text2|t2 continue|
> |text2 text2 tex|d+balance. |

Column balancing isnt implemented properly in FOP 0.20.5 I'm afraid. You can
experiment by adding some white space after the first lot of text.

Chris