Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Brian Wallis <br...@infomedix.com.au> on 2009/10/08 01:05:59 UTC

queries and nodes with large properties

I'm new to Jackrabbit and JCR-170. This may be a FAQ or just obvious
but I couldn't find an answer in the mailing list

In our application we store a number of metadata properties about an
object and the object itself. The objects can be large (images,
documents, AVIs, etc). In a lot of UI usecases when we do a query we
do not want the object itself, just the values of the various
properties associated with it. These are then displayed in lists on
the UI and the user may select one of these at which point the object
is required.

Does Jackrabbit do this efficiently? Does it just fetch and return the
expicitly requested properties of a node or will it load all of the
node properties every time.

thanks,

Brian Wallis
InfoMedix | Development Lead
p: 3 8615 4553 | f: 3 8615 4501
e: brian.wallis@infomedix.com.au
Level 5, 451 Little Bourke Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Re: queries and nodes with large properties

Posted by Brian Wallis <br...@infomedix.com.au>.
Thanks for that.

Posted by Guo Du <mr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Brian Wallis
> Does Jackrabbit do this efficiently? Does it just fetch and return the
> expicitly requested properties of a node or will it load all of the node
> properties every time.

Assume you will store the large binary file as nt:file as child of the
main content node. In this case, you could query the meta data in main
node effectively, the actual binary content is not accessed as they
stored as separated node.

-Guo