Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Viraj Bhat <vi...@yahoo-inc.com> on 2010/06/30 09:57:44 UTC

Simple UDTF not working!! NPE in UDTFDesc.getUDTFName

Hi all,

 I have taken the generic udtf method in the contrib. examples directory
and modified it and added it as a jar in my classpath.

hive> add jar /homes/viraj/hiveudfs.jar;

hive> create temporary function GenIndex as 'hiveudfs.GenIndex';

OK

Time taken: 1.664 seconds

hive> explain SELECT pageid, adid, index FROM  samplelist LATERAL VIEW
GenIndex(adinfo) adTable AS adid, index;

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex

Continuing ...

java.lang.NullPointerException: target should not be null

Continuing ...

Failed with exception null

org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExplainTask

I looked at the stack trace in the hive.log

        at
Impl.java:25)

        at
org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.plan.UDTFDesc.getUDTFName(UDTFDesc.java:54)

        ... 26 more

So what should the name of this UDTF be?

Thanks Viraj

RE: Simple UDTF not working!! NPE in UDTFDesc.getUDTFName

Posted by Paul Yang <py...@facebook.com>.
The NPE is probably related to 'java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex'. Can you include more of the log and any prior exceptions?

 I have taken the generic udtf method in the contrib. examples directory and modified it and added it as a jar in my classpath.
hive> add jar /homes/viraj/hiveudfs.jar;

hive> create temporary function GenIndex as 'hiveudfs.GenIndex';
OK
Time taken: 1.664 seconds

hive> explain SELECT pageid, adid, index FROM  samplelist LATERAL VIEW GenIndex(adinfo) adTable AS adid, index;
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: hiveudfs.GenIndex
Continuing ...
java.lang.NullPointerException: target should not be null
Continuing ...
Failed with exception null
FAILED: Execution Error, return code 1 from org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.ExplainTask