Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> on 2017/06/06 01:48:44 UTC

ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Hi!

after seeing this thread on legal-discuss:
    https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201706.mbox/%3CCAGJoAUn-hiE89mWObh1Lb2S_vgqQJ%3DDC%3D1P_V1REQ9hUERCFog%40mail.gmail.com%3E

I'd like to ask a policy related question.

What we currently have is a whole bunch of binaries hosted
by ASF: https://ignite.apache.org/download.cgi#binaries that
collect user data and ship it away to a host currently not
associated with ASF (nor does it seem to be associated with
Ignite's PMC). The host name is ignite.run (and, as a side note,
as it turns out the connection to that host in Ignite releases prior
to 1.9 is unsecure:
   https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2016-6805
)

Is this something ASF should be concerned with from a standpoint
of the policy that we have for binary convenience artifacts that are
hosted on our end?

Would it make it different if ignite.run and the data collected
by it was managed by an Ignite PMC as opposed to an unidentified
3d party?

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Thanks Greg. I have already started the conversation on private@ignite
and opened IGNITE-5413
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

Am .06.2017, 04:47 Uhr, schrieb Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>:

> On Mon, Jun 5, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org> wrote:
>> If the binaries are built from the released source code I don’t think
>> we should restrict what the binaries do.
>
> Well, but that's not how we treat licensing for example. For example
> -- there's plenty of ASF project that
> allow GPL licensed extension to be pulled into the build. That
> mechanics is part of the source code. However,
> as per our policy, we will not allow this kind of a convenience binary
> (containing GPL bits) to be hosted by
> ASF infrastructure.
>
> Now, there's nothing wrong with those kinds of binaries -- and 3d
> parties host them all the time -- its just that
> WE at ASF decided that it wouldn't be aligned with what we do.
>
> What I'm concerned about is that a combination of binaries hosted by
> ASF and a lack of opt-in AND an unsecure
> nature of the communication AND unclear data handling policies can
> potential make ASF liable if this kind of
> data ends up containing sensitive information and gets exploited.
>
> IANAL, but I could see EU being especially strict here.
Absolutely, for me the described behavior is a no go. The binaries should
not be distributed over ASF Mirrors.

Regards, Raphael

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 5:16 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> ...So far it seems that there's an agreement on that having this type of
> capability...
>    1 ... in the source code disabled by default -- totally OK
>    2 ... in the source code enabled by default -- questionable, but OK
>    3 ... in the binary hosted by ASF disabled by default -- OK
>    4 ... in the binary hosted by ASF enabled by default -- NOT OK ...

I agree with that and IMO the place to document this is
https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/privacy.html which already
mentions *.apache.org website analytics.

-Bertrand

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
While I am completely agree with your point, and the Ignite graduation
is the water under the bridge, this is in an important point for the
current podlings to consider. Perhaps it could be done elsewhere as
well, but I am not sure where would be the best place for it.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
  Cos

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:55 PM Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:31 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
> > > legal-discuss@ is the best place to bring any specific requests from
> > > project(s) to change the actual policy itself.  But first it would be
> > > useful to get some rough consensus on some of those specific requests
> > > here from the IPMC or from ComDev.
> >
> > That was my very question: what is the right forum. You could've just
> > answered
> > that. So it is IPMC, ComDev, both?
> >
> > Seriously WHERE do I have to move this thread to?
>

> Let's leave it here to get an IPMC opinion.

I disagree.  The Ignore PMC released the software with this included.  It
seems like they're the ones having issues with it, the discussion should
happen on their lists to find out what should have been done.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 1:26 PM, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Roman Shaposhnik wrote on 6/7/17 4:20 PM:

>>> Consider yourself surprised then. V.P. Legal owns the release policy.
>>
>> Is legal-discuss then the appropriate forum to actually build the consensus?
>> I surely hope V.P. Legal won't play a BDFL with our release policy, will he?
>
> Huh?

Because last time BDFL tendencies flared up around ASF Legal it was
painful all around.

>  Only the board and specifically authorized officers can set policy
> like the release policy that all PMCs MUST follow.  So yes, VP Legal is
> the final determiner of release policy updates, not anyone else.
>
> legal-discuss@ is the best place to bring any specific requests from
> project(s) to change the actual policy itself.  But first it would be
> useful to get some rough consensus on some of those specific requests
> here from the IPMC or from ComDev.

That was my very question: what is the right forum. You could've just answered
that. So it is IPMC, ComDev, both?

Seriously WHERE do I have to move this thread to?

> Note that ComDev is a PMC itself, and has no authority to set *policy*
> for other PMCs.  But they do provide a lot of good docs and best
> practices, and dev@community is becoming quite a good cross-project
> discussion area, so it's a good place to get other feedback on a proposal.

Sure. We all know that.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Roman Shaposhnik wrote on 6/7/17 4:20 PM:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I would really be surprised if VP Legal actually *owned* it. This
>>> feels someplace between
>>> INFRA, ComDev and Legal, but it still doesn't answer the question
>>> who's a single throat
>>> to choke.
>>
>> Consider yourself surprised then. V.P. Legal owns the release policy.
>
> Is legal-discuss then the appropriate forum to actually build the consensus?
> I surely hope V.P. Legal won't play a BDFL with our release policy, will he?

Huh?  Only the board and specifically authorized officers can set policy
like the release policy that all PMCs MUST follow.  So yes, VP Legal is
the final determiner of release policy updates, not anyone else.

legal-discuss@ is the best place to bring any specific requests from
project(s) to change the actual policy itself.  But first it would be
useful to get some rough consensus on some of those specific requests
here from the IPMC or from ComDev.  Having specific changes backed up by
actual *needs* from one or more PMCs is the best way to start.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 07/06/17 17:53, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> The reason I'm bringing it on the IPMC mailing list has nothing to do
>>> with how long
>>> ago Ignite graduated and everything to do with the following two points:
>>>    1. It can be very useful to the future podlings
>>>    2. I honestly don't know any other forum where I can meaningfully
>>> discuss changes to release policy
>>>
>>> I'll take advice on #2, of course.
>>

>> Who owns release policy? I presume it's VP Legal, which would suggest legal-discuss.
>
> I would really be surprised if VP Legal actually *owned* it. This
> feels someplace between
> INFRA, ComDev and Legal, but it still doesn't answer the question
> who's a single throat
> to choke.

Consider yourself surprised then. V.P. Legal owns the release policy.

Mark

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roman, Greg, *

Am .06.2017, 07:20 Uhr, schrieb Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>:

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 10:15 PM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I recall a company that started to list out each of things NOT to do.
>> Item
>> after item after item, to develop a policy. After a few dozen such, one
>> guy
>> piped up, "this is ridiculous" ... It just isn't tractable. So he
>> suggested
>> a simple replacement:
>>
>> Do no evil.
>
> Should we add that to our release policy? Will VP Legal go along with
> that?
>
> Seriously, on one hand I see folks saying here that clarfiying what is
> and isn't
> acceptable is useful. On the other hand, I see your reaction that can
> only
> be described as "duh! what policy -- its just common sense".
>
> I actually do not think it is common sense anymore -- I do think it
> needs to be
> documented.
>
> However, this won't be the first time when what I feel passionate about
> is
> ignored by the "official ASF" -- not a biggie -- you guys are the
> bosses. I just
> need to learn to care less.

No we should not care less. We should care more. But adding new policy
don't means, that this never happened again. I think, more important then
policy is to have the eyes open. And that's the task of us all.

Regards, Raphael

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Haha... I'm no Director any more. Such policy is above my pay grade :-P

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 1:00 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
wrote:

> There's also this:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775?
> focusedCommentId=14513325&page=com.atlassian.jira.
> plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14513325
>
> which I find very intriguing.
>
> But I've got to say -- we need INFRA (Greg?) to tell us what they are
> and what they are NOT
> willing to do to enable something like that.

If the query is pushed out to the DNS substrate of the Internet, then Infra
really doesn't have much to support :-) ... we'll happily add DNS records
for such.

> If the default is not much -- I think we have no choice but to say
> that since ASF can't
> provide the infrastructure to reliable and securely collect user data
> project that publish
> convenience binaries off of Apache Infra shouldn't do that.

The basic policy of Infra is that we'll offer what we can within the budget
given to us by the Board. When an individual project requests resources,
then (again) we'll do what we can for them. You'll see this in daily
make-work, but also in the provision of "project VMs" where we provision a
VM/resources dedicated to a specific project.

However, we have run into an occurrence where a project's VM ran well past
any/all resources that we could provide within the Infrastructure budget
provided by the Board. As a result, we had to shut it down, or the project
needed to request specific budget from the Board to keep that system
running.

So. We can and will do all that we can. If the request is still pretty
nebulous/unclear, then bring it to users@infra for some early discussion.
Once it gets concrete, then file a ticket. We'll go from there.

Cheers,
Greg Stein
Infrastructure Administrator, ASF

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:51 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 7:15 AM, Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>... Do no evil...
>
> Of course. As long as everybody agrees on the definition of "evil" ;-)
>
> Hence my proposal to briefly document best practices about how to
> collect user data in a non-evil way.
>
> Maybe adding a few notes to
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-5413 about what infra has
> been doing to fix the current issue is sufficient, so that we can
> point to that later if similar cases arise.

There's also this:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775?focusedCommentId=14513325&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-14513325

which I find very intriguing.

But I've got to say -- we need INFRA (Greg?) to tell us what they are
and what they are NOT
willing to do to enable something like that.

If the default is not much -- I think we have no choice but to say
that since ASF can't
provide the infrastructure to reliable and securely collect user data
project that publish
convenience binaries off of Apache Infra shouldn't do that.

Which basically gets me to the list I was proposing we clean up and
add to the policy:

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
Out of curiousity: Do we ever let domains like this expire?

Greets,
Myrle

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Makes sense to me.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,

<bd...@codeconsult.ch>:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> wrote:
>> ...Who owns release policy? I presume it's VP Legal, which would
>> suggest legal-discuss...
>
> I don't think our release policy is relevant here.
>
> The issue is a project releasing software that a) collects user data
> without an explicit opt-in, and b) apparently does that in an insecure
> way.
>
> a) is a privacy violation - we have
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/policies/privacy.html for that, I
> suggest that we simply expand it with a "collecting user data"
> section. As Shane mentions
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Update_Service is related.
>
> b) is a general security problem,
> http://www.apache.org/security/committers.html applies to that as
> usual.
>
> Am I missing something?
Yea, as far as I know it is in a old version who is in the archive, right.
I think this makes some difference.

Regards Raphael

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@codeconsult.ch>.
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:53 AM, Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...NetBeans has various anonymous data collections such as UI gestures and
> actions logging, and optional uploading, sort of like GA, which tells us
> what is or is not being used, auto update, exception reporting, driven by
> users deciding to send anonymously or login to attach their name, which I
> do that often...

This will need to be reviewed in light of the ASF's privacy policy.
Best is to document the corresponding decisions in jira tickets or
wiki pages, in order to have a simple reference to provide to other
projects with similar needs.

-Bertrand

Re: ASF hosted binaries collecting user data without an explicit opt-in

Posted by Wade Chandler <wa...@apache.org>.
NetBeans has various anonymous data collections such as UI gestures and
actions logging, and optional uploading, sort of like GA, which tells us
what is or is not being used, auto update, exception reporting, driven by
users deciding to send anonymously or login to attach their name, which I
do that often. There may be others. So certainly good for us to be aware
of, and will have to bring it up.

Thanks

Wade

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@apache.org>.

[1] https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ignite-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCALV17Qod61yu63__Cs9ekGu+KVxHPpKXmpAGNdoNRz1t8_T9SA@mail.gmail.com%3E <https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ignite-dev/201504.mbox/%3CCALV17Qod61yu63__Cs9ekGu+KVxHPpKXmpAGNdoNRz1t8_T9SA@mail.gmail.com%3E>

[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IGNITE-775>