Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Warner Onstine <on...@exoffice.com> on 2000/05/26 19:07:45 UTC

Introduction and Possible Tasks

Hi all,
I am new to Tomcat although I have been using Jserv for about a year.  I
recently was hired by Exoffice to work on Tomcat (specifically Catalina) and
just wanted to give you guys a quick introduction and find out if there was
anything in particular that needed immediate attention, or if someone needed
some help on a particular piece.  I have worked on a few Open-source
projects but never in quite this capacity, so not sure if this is the right
way to address things here.

Remy, a co-worker and fellow Tomcat developer, mentioned a couple of pieces
that were missing or incomplete in Catalina:
Sessions *
Security (form-based authentication) *
Security (SSL/TLS based authentication)
Secuirty (HTTP DIGEST authentication)
Log file implementations
Server Management support *
Server Side Includes
CGI emulation

I know there are more, but these are the ones I am most interested in and
the ones with asterisks I could probably start on right away with my current
knowledge base.  If there are ones not listed here that you (collective you
;-) feel needs to be addressed first please let me know, or if someone has
already volunteered for some of these pieces I would love to hear about what
you are working on.

-warner

Re: Introduction and Possible Tasks

Posted by Warner Onstine <on...@exoffice.com>.
> > I am new to Tomcat although I have been using Jserv for about a year.  I
> > recently was hired by Exoffice to work on Tomcat (specifically Catalina)
and
> > just wanted to give you guys a quick introduction and find out if there
was
> > anything in particular that needed immediate attention, or if someone
needed
> > some help on a particular piece.  I have worked on a few Open-source
> > projects but never in quite this capacity, so not sure if this is the
right
> > way to address things here.
> >

> Hello Warner, and welcome!
>

> > Remy, a co-worker and fellow Tomcat developer, mentioned a couple of
pieces
> > that were missing or incomplete in Catalina:
> > Sessions *
> > Security (form-based authentication) *
> > Security (SSL/TLS based authentication)
> > Secuirty (HTTP DIGEST authentication)
> > Log file implementations
> > Server Management support *
> > Server Side Includes
> > CGI emulation
> >
> > I know there are more, but these are the ones I am most interested in
and
> > the ones with asterisks I could probably start on right away with my
current
> > knowledge base.  If there are ones not listed here that you (collective
you
> > ;-) feel needs to be addressed first please let me know, or if someone
has
> > already volunteered for some of these pieces I would love to hear about
what
> > you are working on.
> >

> The current list of major projects outstanding on Catalina is in the
> jakarta-tomcat repository, in a file named
"proposals/catalina/STATUS.html".
> Some of the items have names beside them already -- there is no problem
with
> more than one person working in a particular area, as long as
collaboration can
> occur (over the TOMCAT-DEV mailing list).  I will be happy to add your
name to
> any of the items listed (or add any new items that we think ought to be
there).
> Let me know which specific ones you are interested in.

Well looks like I have gotten my first assignment, which is to analyze and
estimate the amount of time it will take to add SSL to Tomcat 3.1 (and I
will most likely add this to Catalina as well).  From what I can tell so far
it should just be a matter of adding a new port listener that responds as an
SSL connection.

Then use a package such as PureTLS to handle the encryption.  Anything major
that I am missing?

In addition to this I would like to work on Sessions and Server Management
support in my *free* time.  Let me know if this will work for you all.  I
will probably start on the SSL stuff this week some time and will
*hopefully* have some stuff for you guys to commit by next week some time if
everything goes well.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Warner Onstine wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am new to Tomcat although I have been using Jserv for about a year.  I
> recently was hired by Exoffice to work on Tomcat (specifically Catalina) and
> just wanted to give you guys a quick introduction and find out if there was
> anything in particular that needed immediate attention, or if someone needed
> some help on a particular piece.  I have worked on a few Open-source
> projects but never in quite this capacity, so not sure if this is the right
> way to address things here.

Hello Warner, and welcome!

> Remy, a co-worker and fellow Tomcat developer, mentioned a couple of pieces
> that were missing or incomplete in Catalina:
> Sessions *
> Security (form-based authentication) *
> Security (SSL/TLS based authentication)
> Secuirty (HTTP DIGEST authentication)
> Log file implementations
> Server Management support *
> Server Side Includes
> CGI emulation
>
> I know there are more, but these are the ones I am most interested in and
> the ones with asterisks I could probably start on right away with my current
> knowledge base.  If there are ones not listed here that you (collective you
> ;-) feel needs to be addressed first please let me know, or if someone has
> already volunteered for some of these pieces I would love to hear about what
> you are working on.

The current list of major projects outstanding on Catalina is in the
jakarta-tomcat repository, in a file named "proposals/catalina/STATUS.html".
Some of the items have names beside them already -- there is no problem with
more than one person working in a particular area, as long as collaboration can
occur (over the TOMCAT-DEV mailing list).  I will be happy to add your name to
any of the items listed (or add any new items that we think ought to be there).
Let me know which specific ones you are interested in.

> -warner

Craig McClanahan