Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Chuck Robey <ch...@telenix.org> on 2009/02/28 22:13:25 UTC

installation on FreeBSD

Re: installation on FreeBSD

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Chuck Robey wrote:

> I need some help in getting ApacheDS installed on my FreeBSD-8.0 (current) box.
>  I'm running a natively-compiled jdk1.6.0 (Sun sources), it's just as stable as
> a rock, and I am also running eclipse-3.4.1, and it's equally stable.  Since the
> Studio install works through eclipse, I already have that installed (my eclipse
> is very, very solidly working, I've done a fair sized project already, and I
> love eclipse).  My problem is in getting ApacheDS working.  The tarballs I've
> found on the site either need Linux, MacOS, or Windows ... with one exception.
> That tarball, named apacheds-1.5.4.tar.gz, hasn't got any of the etc/rc.d files
> (stuff that in Linux might be installed in init.d).
>
> I haven't got any test ldap to browse, for checking my Studio install.  I was
> hoping to get the apacheds working, and use that output for testing the Studio.

If you are using Studio 1.3, you have an embedded ADS server. You just
have to configure it, launch it, and create a connection on it. A 2
minutes no-brainer solution :)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org

Re: installation on FreeBSD

Posted by Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot <pa...@marcelot.net>.
Hi Chuck,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Chuck Robey <ch...@telenix.org> wrote:

> The tarballs I've
> found on the site either need Linux, MacOS, or Windows ... with one
> exception.
> That tarball, named apacheds-1.5.4.tar.gz, hasn't got any of the etc/rc.d
> files
> (stuff that in Linux might be installed in init.d).

Simply run the shell script to start the server.
    $sh apacheds.sh

Or use the embedded Apache DS inside Apache Directory Studio (in the
'servers' view) as Emmanuel suggests.

Hope this helps,
Pierre-Arnaud