Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by chickabee <ja...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/08 13:52:14 UTC

First Day Disgust!

Hi Wicketers,

I tried wicket today and the example application was up and running on
tomcat in no time, so that was the good part, after that if I like to create
a sample application on my own then I found no easy way to start.

Examples are good to browse through and tell about wicket capabilities,
however,  not so good from learning point of view, All of the examples are
glued together in one big jar file and it is just not quick enough to create
a bare-bone application quickly and easily,

I tried Quicket as mentioned in the readme file, however, Quickets is
nothing but waste of time, because it is glued with Hibernate and Spring and
both should not be there to start with.

Not a good experience trying wicket so far, I guess it's the time to try out
some more simpler app frameworks,

-Thumbs Down to Wicket!

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
I hate to say it, but I'll do it anyway:

It is a wiki so if you think something is
missing/incomplete/incorrect/needs restructuring... log on and make it
better! Not only will you benefit from the change, but the rest of the
community will have a better life too!

As for the component descriptions, we are trying to coerse maven into
generating a website similar to the one we had for 1.2, but now for
1.3.

in the future it will become available here (nothing there to see at
this moment):

http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13

and the url structure would be something like:

http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/index.html <- overview
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket <- wicket core
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/dependencies.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/index.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/source-repository.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket/apidocs
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/index.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/dependencies.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/source-repository.html
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-extensions/apidocs
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-datetime
http://wicket.apache.org/wicket13/wicket-datetime/index.html
etc.

Martijn

On 9/9/07, Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A maven archetype is really helpful and the quickstart guide is good
> but for me personally I would rather see the documentation
> restructured a bit. The thing I miss is a small text explaining what
> the different JAR-files actually contain. Something like this (pardon
> my english, it is not my native language):
>
> Introduction
> -----------------
> To build a wicket web application you need to understand the
> WAR-format and what the web.xml is. "Introduction on Java web
> applications" A must read for anyone developing web applications with
> Java. We presume you know this before you start working with Wicket.
>
> Quick start
> ----------------
> The following JAR-files are the minimum needed in WEB-INF/lib to
> developa a wicket application:
> * wicket-1.3.0-beta3.jar
> * slf4j-api-1.4.2.jar
> * slf4j-jdk14-1.4.2.jar
>
> Maven
> ---------
> If you use maven (http://maven.apache.org/) which the wicket project
> uses there is an arcehtype that can get you up to speed quickly. See
> http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html
>
> That's it, now go kick the tires!
>
> More features of wicket
> ----------------------------------
> * wicket-auth-roles-1.3.0-beta3.jar -
> http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/acegi-and-wicket-auth-roles.html
> * wicket-datetime-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-extensions-1.3.0-beta3.jar - More components...
> * wicket-ioc-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-guice-1.3.0-beta3.jar - Integration with the Guice IoC container
> * wicket-jmx-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-objectsizeof-agent-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-spring-1.3.0-beta3.jar - http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/spring.html
> * wicket-spring-annot-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
> * wicket-velocity-1.3.0-beta3.jar - ???
>

> On 9/8/07, Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Saturday, September 8, 2007, 2:00:32 PM, Johan <jm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, there is nothing special about Ant and wicket is very easy to
> > > set up and the dependencies needed are kind of explained somewhere.
> > > But I keep seing requests for information from newbies (such as
> > > myself) answered with maven command lines or "look at the source".
> >
> > Well, that's part of the reason that we've created the Maven Archetype
> > for QuickStart and documented it at http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html.
> >
> > While we've got nothing against anyone creating a "Wicket and Ant"
> > page on the Wiki, if users aren't able to either install Maven to use
> > the Archetype or take the downloads we supply and use them in Ant
> > without it all done for them, then to my mind, there's a significant
> > danger that the level of OO coding required to use Wicket might be
> > problematic for them...
> >
> > /Gwyn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Johan Maasing <jm...@gmail.com>.
Sure, there is nothing special about Ant and wicket is very easy to
set up and the dependencies needed are kind of explained somewhere.
But I keep seing requests for information from newbies (such as
myself) answered with maven command lines or "look at the source".
Perhaps there is need for a FAQ linked from the wicket home page. Yes
I have seen the FAQ buried in the wiki but:
"What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" isn't all
that helpful.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Luke Taylor <ne...@freesurf.ch>.
The problem with wicket is that you guys are all far too diplomatic...

:)

Al Maw wrote:

 Luke Taylor.                      Monkey Machine Ltd.
 PGP Key ID: 0x57E9523C            http://www.monkeymachine.ltd.uk

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.
chickabee wrote:
> Once you are out in the market to try the new webapps then it always makes
> sense to have people be able to get up and running on the basics w/o efforts
> and not to have to deal with tricks necessary to get basic app to work.

I absolutely agree.

Install Maven 2 (takes five minutes, there's a readme on their site, etc.).

Create your own new Wicket project using the Maven 2 archetype and
import it into any of the three major Java IDEs and run it (takes five
minutes, instructions prominently placed on the Wicket web site).

Optionally compile the examples and have a play (takes another five
minutes, and we even host these live on http://wicketstuff.org/wicket13,
linked from the Wicket home page, so you don't need to bother if you
just want to have a poke around).

> A common expectation is a simple standalone app without
> Maven/Spring/Hibernate etc unnecessary stuff. Run 'ant' on the command line
> and here u have the war file, now,  make a few changes to experiment and
> then run 'ant' again to have modified war. Simple.

We support extremely quick set-up and configuration using Maven 2, which
has superior functionality via its eclipse, idea and netbeans plug-ins
for initial set-up with minimal effort, and templating for extremely
quick and easy quick-start of a Wicket project with the appropriate
web.xml, etc.

If we make you use Ant instead, there will be just as many people who
complain that they want to use Maven. It will also be less powerful and
not really any easier. People would still have to look up the ant task
names we'd used and would ask questions about that instead, and want to
know how to manage the dependencies using Ivy, and all the rest of it.

> Obviously the current example is for the comfort of wicket creators and not
> for the comfort of prospective users and that is the problem here.

We're expecting you to do _FIVE_MINUTES_ extra work here installing
Maven 2. The Wicket developers have put in thousands and thousands of
hours of work for you to build on, for free. Yes, we want our lives to
be easier. Do you see why I think you're being more than a little
unreasonable here?

If you're a sufficiently experienced developer to have tried Maven 2 and
found it not to your taste, that's fine. But that shouldn't stop you
from using it to set up an evaluation project and make having a play
with Wicket nice and easy. As mentioned in other threads, there are
other options if you don't want to use it in your production build
environment.

We provide easy-to-follow ten-minute set-up instructions to get you
quickly started with Wicket. Much effort has been put in to make sure
this is nice and easy. Like Robo, you are choosing to ignore the large
path we have beaten for you and then complaining that you're lost in the
forest with no map.

I'm all for improvements driven by the us

> Any one with basic common sense will get this up and running after a day's
> tinkering around,  but that can be avoided by adding simple things here in
> the examples, that is the point I am trying to sell here only if there are
> buyers out there with open mind.

If it takes you a day to install Maven 2 and follow four lines of
instructions on a prominently-linked web page...

Regards,

Al

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/07, chickabee <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A common expectation is a simple standalone app without
> Maven/Spring/Hibernate etc unnecessary stuff. Run 'ant' on the command
> line
> and here u have the war file, now,  make a few changes to experiment and
> then run 'ant' again to have modified war. Simple.

heh, so a standalone project can require ant and still be standalone? great
logic there. i dont think i even have ant installed.

btw, the whole point of qwicket was to provide a base project that glues
together hibernate+spring+wicket. maybe you shouldve read the readme of
qwicket.

-igor

AW: DatePicker style in old Wicket 2.0

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
Problem is solved with a workaround. Thank you all.

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Jon Laidler <zo...@ozemail.com.au>.
Totally agree.

I like to understand what is going on so I created a 'sandbox' type project
in Netbeans, manually referenced the wicket libraries, created the
application and webpage class with related HTML, and the Web.xml. I was up
and running in under an hour. The application runs on Tomcat with iBatis and
mySQL - nothing fancy no Jetty, Hibernate.

My process of learning the framework is again simple. Add pages to the
'sandbox ' application and add components to the page that I want to
learn/play with. Before I knew it I had working examples of most of the
Wicket components with Java code I had written and understood.

I like Wicket. I have the greatest respect for the developers who devote
their time to giving us a worthwhile framework, and to the Wicket community
who are always willing to help.

My advice is to build an application manually, the information is on the
Wiki and in many blogs (just Google it). Read the book 'Pro-Wicket' and sign
up to the Manning MEAPs version of 'Wicket In Action'

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Ryan Holmes <ry...@hyperstep.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by chickabee <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Al Maw <wi...@almaw.com>.

About the QuickStart (was Re: First Day Disgust!)

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
On Sunday, September 9, 2007, 8:55:35 AM, chickabee <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked into Maven and did all the Quick-Start exercise, I have the
> application up and running using Maven. Quick Start has following obvious
> flaws:

> 1. It is based on Maven. (I am not apache community with 25 projects running
> in parallel, I just want to make a small app using wicket. Maven is
> overkill).

  Really? I assume you're suggesting Ant as an alternative - Why don't
  you try documenting the steps you'd need to download the various
  jars and requirements and see which is simpler.

  No cheating by saying 'download a complete meta jar', as we don't
  want the extra work and legal issues involved in trying to
  redistribute third-party apps. You can/should avoid having the user
  re-download any jars that they might have used in other projects
  built with the same tool though.

  Remember your goal is to be simpler than "1) Install Maven, 2)
  Create project via "mvn archetype ...", 3) Build & run project via
  "mvn jetty:run".

> 2. It favors Jetty. ( Why even say Jetty, pom.xml has jetty dependencies
> defined. )

  It includes a support class under src/test/java to help with
  debugging the web-app via an embedded Jetty instance, true. There's
  nothing that favours Jetty apart from that dedicated support class
  in the QuickStart, though.

> 3. It depends on log4j. (Newer JDK have all the logging features needed. )

  The specific dependency in use in Wicket generally is actually the
  SLF4J framework, which allows/requires the end-user to choose the
  actual logging implementation.  For the QuickStart we used log4j, as
  most developers would be familiar with it but it's trivial to change
  - you do have to choose something, though.

> 4. Advises the user to follow test driven development. (I want to be a bad
> developer, is that okay?).

  No comment...

> All above default integrations and suggestions are unnecessary and undermine
> Wicket and make it less appealing to Non-Wicketers and possible adopters of
> this great phenomenon.

  Without them, you don't get a running application with a 3 steps,
  one of which being to install Maven, which is the critical bit to
  convince people that yes, it /is/ that simple to get started!

/Gwyn

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/07, chickabee <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. It is based on Maven. (I am not apache community with 25 projects
> running
> in parallel, I just want to make a small app using wicket. Maven is
> overkill).

so write a quick ant script. the generated project itself has no
dependencies on maven

2. It favors Jetty. ( Why even say Jetty, pom.xml has jetty dependencies
> defined. )

notice they are scoped "test", so not required at deploy time. the great
thing about jetty is this: you can quickly get your app running using mvn
jetty:jetty command if you want. but even better, when developing you dont
need to package your app into a war and deploy it - which are big time
wasting steps when you have to do them every ten minutes. instead simply
launch the included Start class and your app is up and running in seconds
and includes hotswap.

3. It depends on log4j. (Newer JDK have all the logging features needed. )

we prefer log4j because it is more flexible then jdklogging, but this is a
religious issue. all you have to do is remove the log4j jar and its slf4j
equivalent and dropin the slf4j jdk log impl jar.

4. Advises the user to follow test driven development. (I want to be a bad
> developer, is that okay?).

huh?

> All above default integrations and suggestions are unnecessary and
> undermine
> Wicket and make it less appealing to Non-Wicketers and possible adopters
> of
> this great phenomenon.

you know, you are the first who seem to think that, ever.  most new users
find themselves at home with the project and dependencies quickstart
generates.

-igor

This is not the responsibility of the Wicket

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.
My point was to show you an alternative to Jetty plugin.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by chickabee <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Alex Objelean <al...@isdc.ro>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by chickabee <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Wicketers,

No doubt you guys are a vibrant community. It was nice listening to all the
rant and raves and jitters and it is even more exciting to see some positive
action on this small but important issue.

I am for Wicket, so I criticized it to make it even more widely adaptable,
because wicket is a well thought out web framework.

I looked into Maven and did all the Quick-Start exercise, I have the
application up and running using Maven. Quick Start has following obvious
flaws:

1. It is based on Maven. (I am not apache community with 25 projects running
in parallel, I just want to make a small app using wicket. Maven is
overkill).
2. It favors Jetty. ( Why even say Jetty, pom.xml has jetty dependencies
defined. )
3. It depends on log4j. (Newer JDK have all the logging features needed. )
4. Advises the user to follow test driven development. (I want to be a bad
developer, is that okay?).

All above default integrations and suggestions are unnecessary and undermine
Wicket and make it less appealing to Non-Wicketers and possible adopters of
this great phenomenon. This is not the responsibility of the Wicket

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by chickabee <ja...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the great idea.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by landry soules <la...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree with Jan.
There's no black magic occurring around Wicket, and the best way to go
for a newbie may be to simply create a new web project in Eclipse WTP or
Netbeans, drop wicket.jar, log4j.jar, and slf4j-log4j.jar (if you're
using wicket1.3), and follow HelloWorld sample from here  :
http://wicket.apache.org/examplehelloworld.html.
This way, you save the 5 extra minutes needed to install Maven  ;-)

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Jan Kriesten <ja...@renitence.de>.
hi,

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com>.
what a complement

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by David Bernard <dw...@free.fr>.
Welcome,

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

oh yeah, netbeans to the rescue!

btw, tim and i have been good friends since the 4th grade.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Florian Sperber <fl...@sperber.info>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Jonathan Locke <jo...@gmail.com>.

"do my homework for me now or i will continue mock your miserable web
framework!"

it seems probable that this won't make you many friends.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Evan Chooly <ev...@gmail.com>.
I know i'm a little late on this thread, but as the author of qwicket, i
take particular issue with saying because it's "glued with hibernate and
spring" that it's no good.  The express purpose of qwicket is to create a
template for spring/hibernate/wicket based applications.  So if it's no good
because it uses those, the problem is with you.  Blaming a tool built
explicitly to leverage those libraries is, to be as blunt as you, stupid.
Learn to pick better tools or hire out your work.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Contact 42 <co...@gmail.com>.
lol....it's funny how people like making pompous public statements about
their deficiencies.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/07, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> eelco you have fallen off your horse already?

I guess, sorry. Let me get back on again :)

Eelco

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/07, Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> at least i see a lot of maven related issues on the forum, not that maven is
> not perfect but some starters who dont know it well may "think" there is
> some big stuff about any issue they may have when setting it up and setting
> up sample projects. today I have a plugin build (not fully stable) that
> generates a wicket sample project without any errors and runs fine,
>
> my take again,
>
> ppl who complain about maven start up should be directed to stuffs like dat
> and not being forced to use maven for their first sample project.
>
> i have already overcome all those cups and so am not at all bothered about
> what wicket decides to use, i already see that wicket advantages far
> outweight its so to say, disadvantages so wherever wicket goes, i follow :)
> but am just concerned for some ppl yu know

I guess it's just a matter of communicating the quickstart options
more clearly. Would be great if someone outside of the team would make
a proposal of that. Along the lines of get started using.... maven/
ant/ eclipse/ netbeans/ idea/ ...

Eelco

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/07, Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yu see what i mean? :) this guy now cared to ask, someone else will get
> bored there and leave :)

It is optional though. People can use the quickstart or they can just
create something from scratch. Also note we started out distributing
IDE files, including NetBeans and IDE for a while, but some people
complained about *that*, and it also got harder for us to maintain.
We're never gonna cater to everyone's wishes, and I think we're doing
a pretty good job as it is.

But if someone has other ideas on a quickstart, it would be pretty
easy to just add that project to wicket-stuff and document it
prominently (as an alternative) on the WIKI.

Eelco

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
Maven can just produce a zip archive automagically, so perhaps someone can
incorporate the following into the Wicket builds:

1) Get maven to produce a project based off the quickstart archetype
2) Get maven to zip the outcome for people to download.

Might make the Maven phobic people happy and not cost a lot as far as
maintenance.

Craig.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by jweekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/07, Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yu see what i mean? :) this guy now cared to ask, someone else will get
> bored there and leave :)

No I don't see what you mean.

Martijn

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by ig...@gmail.com.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Ayodeji Aladejebi <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
Not to mention IDEA 7M2 (or even versions before that) can read a
maven pom, and use that directly. Netbeans also has a maven plugin
that does that (took me 1 minute to discover and less to install the
plugin).

I haven't used an Eclipse plugin for maven since the command line
version works really well and my previous experiences with mevenide
were less than ok (talking about 2 years ago!)

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.0-beta3 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.0-beta3/

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by ig...@gmail.com.
I don't think you can handle that

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Aaron Hiniker <ah...@edicorp.com>.
Maven does have an Ant plugin that allows you to generate ant build
files so that non-maven users can build maven-managed software initially
(won't help much if the pom's change as you now need to run maven to
generate new ant builds).

mvn ant:ant

Maybe this could be used to cater to non-maven users from within the
quickstart-- by giving them the ability to use Ant to build instead of
Maven, and without having to manually create/maintain any of those build
files.

Aaron

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
On 9/10/07, Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com> wrote:
> so far i have heard a bunch of bitching but very little in the way of
> concrete suggestions.
>
> what are we to provide? a prebuilt project for eclipse? a prebuilt project
> for netbeans? a prebuilt project for idea? a prebuilt project for jedit? a
> prebuilt project for ant? a prebuilt project for make? a prebuilt project
> for buildr? a prebuilt project for foo?
>
> this is why we opted for maven, at least it can generate projects for all
> the major ides so we dont have to worry about it ourselves. the barrier to
> entry is incredibly low imho as it is - defined on our quickstart page of
> the website.

Yeah, I think we facilitate n00bs enough already. There are
definitively a lot of things we can improve on Wicket, but dumbing
things down even more isn't very interesting.

Eelco

Eelco

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> This is one reason that ruby on rails has taken off--the combination of
> Instant Rails and Active Record makes it the easiest framework to get a
> fully database-enabled application up and running.
>
> Wicket has done a great job of making it easy to get up and running, but
> there is always more to be done.

Definitively. The next steps in making the framework better imho is to
focus more on stacks. It should be optional, and focussed on getting
database apps up and running real quick. Databinder goes in this
direction, and also projects like salve (Igor's baby) can mean a lot
in this context. And what Matej has been working on, a cluster
solution that is optimized for Wicket is another stack improvement
(and the fact that Terracotta has specific Wicket support yet
another).

It wouldn't hurt of more people (other than the core team) would pick
this up though. We are busy enough as it is with writing the book,
supporting this list and fixing bugs etc. I'm definitively interested
to play around with ideas myself once we get the book over with.

Eelco

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
On 9/10/07, JulianS <js...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> This is one reason that ruby on rails has taken off--the combination of
> Instant Rails and Active Record makes it the easiest framework to get a
> fully database-enabled application up and running.
> <snip>
> Julian

But the thing is, if someone would have started bitching at DHH "why do I
have to install this "gems" thing to get a Rails app working"  he would have
told them where to go. Chickabee was po'd because Wicket uses Maven for a
few things and that's not how he operates.

Because we are using a well established ecosystem such as Java (Ruby was all
greenfield when Rails came out), everyone probably does things 100 different
ways in our neck of the woods.  Unfortunately this may loose some of those
not willing to try a new (and frankly better) way.  Even though you really
only need Maven for the quick starts.  After that, download the jars
manually and Ant away...

Craig.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/07, Arinté <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> chickabee wrote:
> > Hi Wicketers,
> >
> > I tried wicket today and the example application was up and running on
> > tomcat in no time, so that was the good part, after that if I like to
> create
> > a sample application on my own then I found no easy way to start.
> >
> > Examples are good to browse through and tell about wicket capabilities,
> > however,  not so good from learning point of view, All of the examples
> are
> > glued together in one big jar file and it is just not quick enough to
> create
> > a bare-bone application quickly and easily,
> >
> > I tried Quicket as mentioned in the readme file, however, Quickets is
> > nothing but waste of time, because it is glued with Hibernate and Spring
> and
> > both should not be there to start with.
> >
> > Not a good experience trying wicket so far, I guess it's the time to try
> out
> > some more simpler app frameworks,
> >
> > -Thumbs Down to Wicket!
> >
> You think this is bad try to get a Tapestry 5 app to work...

at least it will look good :P

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Arinté <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
http://www.sonatype.com/book/introduction.html#why_not_just_use_ant

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

> We are all getting sucked into this bs needlessly..  and by 'patches
> welcome' I was using a line from this (imho very good) google techtalks
> (Brian Fitzpatrick....) video. It's about poisonous people in open
> source software..
>
> http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid=-4216011961522818645

yeah i hear you. and i have seen the techtalk, got the ref. but  i just
didnt want someone who is reading this thread to come up with an ant file
and contribute it, because it would be a waste of their time.

-igor

Re: First Day Disgust!

Posted by "C. Bergström" <cb...@netsyncro.com>.

Re: First Day Disgust!