Posted to dev@tika.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/12 19:58:18 UTC

Initial work on Any23 proposal & migration to Tika

Hi Folks,
I managed to put some time in to the proposal document we promised a while
back.
Right now there is lots of background (which I think is equally as
important as the migration itself) and I have identified the first area
which work can begin on e.g. mime/mediatype detection.

I opened TIKA-1207 [0] as a parent task to track everything, I've also
attached a .txt document there so folks can track a more verbose account of
whats being proposed and the progress being made.

@Tika Dev's
It was previously proposed (I think) that a branch of the trunk codebase
would be used to merge in changes... it is however my suggestion that this
may not be necessary. Everything we propose within this initiative can be
classified as *additions* to the codebase... therefore we don't need to
worry about backwards compatibility or breaking trunk for the masses.
It is therefore my suggestion that we simply review and address child
issues, submit patches for Tika trunk, then go back to the review of the
Any23 codebase and carry on with the proposed migration of code.

Does anyone have any comments on this right now before we go ahead with
making the patches for TIKA-1208?

Thank you very much
Lewis

[0] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1207
[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-1208

--
*Lewis*

Re: Initial work on Any23 proposal & migration to Tika

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lewis,

Sounds good. I have added more mime types to TIKA-1208 , including
RDF-1.1 and SPARQL-1.1 formats, along with the Sesame Binary RDF
format.

Cheers,

Peter

Posted by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com>.