Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@japila.pl> on 2016/06/20 06:54:45 UTC

How to explain SchedulerBackend.reviveOffers()?

Hi,

Whenever I see `backend.reviveOffers()` I'm struggling myself with
properly explaining what it does. My understanding is that it requests
a SchedulerBackend (that's responsible for talking to a cluster
manager) to...that's the moment I'm not sure about.

How would you explain `backend.reviveOffers()`?

p.s. I understand that it's somehow related to how Mesos manages
resources where it offers resources, but can't find anything related
to `reviving offers` in Mesos docs :(

Please guide. Thanks!

Pozdrawiam,
Jacek Laskowski
----
https://medium.com/@jaceklaskowski/
Mastering Apache Spark http://bit.ly/mastering-apache-spark

Re: How to explain SchedulerBackend.reviveOffers()?

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek,

This applies to all schedulers actually -- it just tells Spark to re-check the available nodes and possibly launch tasks on them, because a new stage was submitted. Then when any node is available, the scheduler will call the TaskSetManager with an "offer" for the node.

Matei