Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Ilya Obshadko <il...@zhurnal.ru> on 2000/08/21 10:51:05 UTC

Re[2]: [OT] mod_proxy tuning info?

Hello Edward,

среда, 16 августа 2000 г., you wrote:

EM> Yes, I have read that part of the mod_perl guide. I'm looking for a more
EM> detailed discussion on mod_proxy configuration and performance.

EM> But it doesn't answer the questions I have regarding the use of mod_proxy:
EM> * What affect does CacheGcInterval have on performance?

mod_proxy garbage collector virtually don't work with large sites. I have to
remove cache files manually via crontab.

EM> * Does setting CacheDirLevels to a high value cause a performance hit?
EM> * Does setting CacheDirLength to a small value increase performance?

Don't think those two play a big role in mod_proxy performance.

EM> * How does performance scale with 1GB, 2GB, or 4GB of memory?

It doesn't matter, as long as mod_proxy doesn't do memory caching.

EM> * How do you determine the overall hit rate? The hit rate from ram? The
EM> hit
EM> rate from disk?

see previous.

EM> * There are dynamic pages I want cached for a certain TTL. There are other
EM> dynamic pages I don't want cached at all. Do I have to use the NoCache
EM> directive on all the directories/files I don't want cached? Or is there a
EM> more effective way to do this?

Check patches at: http://www.w-m.ru/~ilya/source/apache/xfire_patches1.3.9.tar.gz
There's some functionality additions. Note: it doesn't work with
apache versions other than 1.3.9.

Best regards,
 Ilya                            mailto:ilya@zhurnal.ru