Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Sander, Stefan" <ss...@microstrategy.com> on 2005/12/07 13:08:14 UTC

Q: How to define a minimal table length?

Hello,

it has been a while since I last worked with FOP (about three years maybe), but this week I am back at it again... and here comes my problem:

I want to create a table layout that displays my data nicely in several columns and over several pages (if necessary) - no problem so far.
But the table should always end at the bottom of a page, so that the table footer is always displayed at the same position, even if there is just not enough data to fill the page.

Any suggestions how i can achieve this?

Thanks a lot,
Stefan

Re: Q: How to define a minimal table length?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Depending on your layout requirements you can make sure that all your
rows have the same height. You can use the height property for that, or
even better, the block-progression-dimension property, though that's
only available in FOP 0.90alpha1.

If you have differing row heights you're probably a little out of luck.
For one, XSL-FO doesn't allow to vertically distribute content as it's
possible with text-align="justify", though there's some code in FOP 0.90
that allows to create that effect. But without having checked it I doubt
it will work with tables. Tables are somewhat special and currently
can't have adjustable heights.

You might be able to use a trick by using the region-after as footer for
the table.

Without knowing more about your requirements it's a little difficult to
give any more hints, but maybe the above already helps a little. Maybe
someone else has additional ideas.

On 07.12.2005 13:08:14 Sander, Stefan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> it has been a while since I last worked with FOP (about three years
> maybe), but this week I am back at it again... and here comes my
> problem:
>
> I want to create a table layout that displays my data nicely in several
> columns and over several pages (if necessary) - no problem so far.
> But the table should always end at the bottom of a page, so that the
> table footer is always displayed at the same position, even if there is
> just not enough data to fill the page.
>
> Any suggestions how i can achieve this?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Stefan

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Q: How to define a minimal table length?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Sander, Stefan wrote:
> I want to create a table layout that displays my data nicely in
> several columns and over several pages (if necessary) - no problem so
> far. But the table should always end at the bottom of a page, so that
> the table footer is always displayed at the same position, even if
> there is just not enough data to fill the page.

I'd try to put the footer content into a region-after rather than
a table footer. If necessary, use a marker in the last table cell
for providing the content. A footnote in the last table cell may
also a solution.

J.Pietschmann