Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com> on 2004/06/17 14:43:19 UTC

Equivalent to Ants -logger?

Hi all,

I am playing around with the Dashboard plugin for Eclipse which allows
CruiseControl messages to be sent to a socket.  It integrates into Ant
builds via passing in a custom Logger.  I'd like to do the same for Maven
builds, but not sure how to hijack the Maven logger and send messages
elsewhere..

Eric

RE: Equivalent to Ants -logger?

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
Thanks..  In retrospect, my post probably should have gone to log4j users!
At any rate, if I get it to work, I'll post something to the wiki about
remote monitoring of Maven.

Eric

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
I'll see how I get on..   I sorta feel like the Dashboard's approach to
grabbing messages is a bit of hack..  Hijacking the stream via passing in
another logger is creative though..

I was also playing around, and realized that log4j's SocketHubAppender is
all I really need!  If I can tell Maven to use a SocketHubAppender and a
port, then I can fire up Chainsaw, attached a SocketHubReciever to that port
and get my "what is CC" and therefore "what is maven" doing messages via
that route...

If I want to customize the log4j.properties file that Maven uses, would I be
able to place a log4j.properties in the /maven/lib directory?  Would the
classpath loader (?) pick that up instead of the log4j.properties in
maven.jar?  Or do I need to edit the maven.jar version?

I might look at the XMLOutput approach, and the issues listed, but mucking
around that deep in Maven sounds scary!  I agree, sounds like a good 1.1
addition!

Eric

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Hauser <eh...@www.in.gov>.