Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 2002/04/16 15:42:42 UTC

1.3 Windows and *Servers/MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild directives

In looking at the 1.3 core.html documentation, I think I've found an
error -- or at least a confusion.

The documentation currently implies that ThreadsPerChild on Windows
is equivalent to StartServers on other platforms.  It makes no
reference to MaxClients.  I *think* the situation is rather that,
on Windows,

1. StartServers, MinSpareServers, and MaxSpareServers are meaningless;
2. ThreadsPerChild is the equivalent of both StartServers and MaxClients
   (i.e., that many threads will be started, and never more nor less
   will be allowed to run).

Whether the connexion between MaxClients and ThreadsPerChild is
maintained inside the code (i.e., the deferral to the listen queue)
I don't know.  But the current documentation of these directives
surely seems misleading to me..

Obviously this doesn't apply to 2.0, but I'd like to get it clarified for
the 1.3 docco, since 1.3 is going to be with us for a loooong time
yet.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Re: 1.3 Windows and *Servers/MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild directives

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 08:42 AM 4/16/2002, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>In looking at the 1.3 core.html documentation, I think I've found an
>error -- or at least a confusion.
>
>The documentation currently implies that ThreadsPerChild on Windows
>is equivalent to StartServers on other platforms.  It makes no
>reference to MaxClients.  I *think* the situation is rather that,
>on Windows,
>
>1. StartServers, MinSpareServers, and MaxSpareServers are meaningless;
>2. ThreadsPerChild is the equivalent of both StartServers and MaxClients
>    (i.e., that many threads will be started, and never more nor less
>    will be allowed to run).

I tend to agree, that's the behavior I observe.  I'd like FirstBill's reaction
as well.

>Obviously this doesn't apply to 2.0, but I'd like to get it clarified for
>the 1.3 docco, since 1.3 is going to be with us for a loooong time
>yet.

Apache 2.0 is approximately one order of magnitude faster than 1.3 was
on Windows.  I highly doubt folks will be configuring new 1.3 machines
after 2.0 is generally accepted over this next few months and revisions
[and the obvious kinks are worked out.]  I tend to agree with you that
on Unix, there will be stable production servers that just keep running
on 1.3 for the next several years :-)

Bill