Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2012/11/13 23:44:10 UTC

Proposal: qpidd to listen on multiple network interfaces

I've been working on getting the qpid C++ broker to listen only on specific
network interfaces if that is desired.

Currently there is no way to restrict the network interfaces that qpidd
listens to there are currently 2 broker command line options (and
corresponding config file settings and environment variables):
--port [default 5672] & --ssl-port [default 5671].
With these the broker will listen on all network interfaces to these
ports.

The proposal:

* New option setting --interface

Introduce a new command line option --interface (and corresponding
config file settings and environment variables). This option may be
repeated to indicate multiple listening endpoints. If --interface is not
specified at all then the behaviour is as before - listening on all
interfaces for both amqp and amqps (if configured). If even a single
interface is specified then we don't attempt to listen on all interfaces
anymore.

* Specifying interfaces:

Interfaces can be specified as either an interface name or an address
which must be a local address of an interface.

If the interface name is used then every address associated with that
interface will be used.

If a literal address is used it can be specified as usual for IPv4 (eg
127.0.0.1), but if an IPv6 address is specified it must be enclosed in
square braces ("[" and "]") (eq [::1]).

If --interface is specified then there are 2 possibilities:

* Specifying just an interface

For example --interface em1 or --interface 127.0.0.1 or
--interface [::1].

In this case the broker will listen on the specified interface on both
ports (regular and ssl) as required.

* Specifying an interface and a port

For example --interface wlan0:5672 or --interface 127.0.0.1:465 or
--interface [fe80::3e97:eff:fe14:bbc1%em1]:12002

In this case the broker will only listen on the specified port but will
listen for both regular and ssl connections on the same port.

* Error behaviour

The broker may be unable (for whatever reason) to listen on the
specified ports (Perhaps the specified network interface doesn't exist;
perhaps the specified address isn't actually an address of a connected
interface etc.). In this case we will not fall back to listening on
every network interface - the assumption here is that specifying some
interfaces is a deliberate restriction, quite possibly for security
reasons and so we must "fail safe" and not expose the broker to
potentially hostile network traffic because of a misconfiguration.

I'm keen to hear any comments.

Ideally I'd like to get some of this work into 0.20. And as the
behaviour is backward compatible I think that's feasible.

Andrew

Re: Proposal: qpidd to listen on multiple network interfaces

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@redhat.com>.
On 11/15/2012 03:50 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 11:18 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 11/13/2012 11:44 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>>> I've been working on getting the qpid C++ broker to listen only on specific
>>> network interfaces if that is desired.
>>
>> I think that this isn't possible on most systems because IP addresses
>> belong to the system, not individual interfaces.  But I think that it is
>> sufficient to explain in the documentation that configuring interfaces
>> only affects the addresses picked up by Qpid, and does not directly
>> prevent hosts on other interfaces from connecting to the service.
>>

> I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here: Network interfaces
> have configured addresses and you can discover which addresses are
> configured to which interfaces - on Unix one user command that can do
> this is "ifconfig". So listening on a network interface is equivalent to
> listening on all interfaces of that interface.

"Listening to an interface" sounds like the system will only accept
connections which arrive on that interface.  This is not the case
because most systems follow the weak end system model, and unless
host-based packet filters are configured, any address is reachable over
any interface (including 127.0.0.1).

>> Do you intend to retry periodically, checking if the configured
>> interface has come up?  I think NetworkManager can generate events which
>> would help with that.  But other software does this as well (ntpd, for
>> example).
>
> That is not intended (at this point in any case) as I'm not aware of any
> portable (POSIX or even Win32) way of being notified of an address
> appearing.

Windows has APIs for that:

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366071%28v=vs.85%29.aspx>

I don't think POSIX standardizes anything related to network interfaces,
so you're stuck with non-portable APIs anyway.

 > It certainly is a factor to consider, I must admin I'm not
> sure what the current behaviour would be for interfaces that come up
> during the running of qpidd. If you are listening on the "any" address
> do you get incoming connections on interfaces that appear after you are
> started?

If you listen on 0.0.0.0/::, a service becomes reachable on any
additional addresses the host might receive.

Re: Proposal: qpidd to listen on multiple network interfaces

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 11:18 +0100, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 11/13/2012 11:44 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> > I've been working on getting the qpid C++ broker to listen only on specific
> > network interfaces if that is desired.
>
> I think that this isn't possible on most systems because IP addresses
> belong to the system, not individual interfaces.  But I think that it is
> sufficient to explain in the documentation that configuring interfaces
> only affects the addresses picked up by Qpid, and does not directly
> prevent hosts on other interfaces from connecting to the service.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here: Network interfaces
have configured addresses and you can discover which addresses are
configured to which interfaces - on Unix one user command that can do
this is "ifconfig". So listening on a network interface is equivalent to
listening on all interfaces of that interface.

It is true that this is assuming that addresses are fixed to interfaces
which is not strictly true, but for many server type cases is true
enough. See your other point below.

> > * Error behaviour
> >
> > The broker may be unable (for whatever reason) to listen on the
> > specified ports (Perhaps the specified network interface doesn't exist;
> > perhaps the specified address isn't actually an address of a connected
> > interface etc.). In this case we will not fall back to listening on
> > every network interface - the assumption here is that specifying some
> > interfaces is a deliberate restriction, quite possibly for security
> > reasons and so we must "fail safe" and not expose the broker to
> > potentially hostile network traffic because of a misconfiguration.
>
> Do you intend to retry periodically, checking if the configured
> interface has come up?  I think NetworkManager can generate events which
> would help with that.  But other software does this as well (ntpd, for
> example).

That is not intended (at this point in any case) as I'm not aware of any
portable (POSIX or even Win32) way of being notified of an address
appearing. It certainly is a factor to consider, I must admin I'm not

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 16:14 +0100, Jakub Scholz wrote:
> Actually, I do not care so much about the internal port which currently
> allows regular connections only - should it allowed both, it will be not an
> issue. The important part is to allow only SSL on the external network. The
> reason is that a) we do not want external customers to connect unencrypted
> and b) on SSL we can easily disable the username/password access and allow
> only certificate based authentication.
>
> So if we get instead of the three options (ssl-only, regular-only and both)
> only two options - both and ssl-only - it would be fine for us. It would
> then work as a kind of "minimal security level".

Yep, that answers the question.

Thanks

I wonder if there is any good reason to only want a non encrypted
connection.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Actually, I do not care so much about the internal port which currently
allows regular connections only - should it allowed both, it will be not an
issue. The important part is to allow only SSL on the external network. The
reason is that a) we do not want external customers to connect unencrypted
and b) on SSL we can easily disable the username/password access and allow
only certificate based authentication.

So if we get instead of the three options (ssl-only, regular-only and both)
only two options - both and ssl-only - it would be fine for us. It would
then work as a kind of "minimal security level".

Did this answered your question?

Regards
Jakub

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Alan,

In my opinion, this sounds also acceptable ...

Regards
Jakub

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Jakub Scholz <ja...@scholz.cz>.
Hi Andrew,

It is not clear to me from your proposal whether I can specify multiple
interfaces to listen on. Can I pass multiple "interface=..." options in the
config file in the same way I can use multiple "log-level=..." options?

Also I think it would be great if I can distinguish between SSL and PLAIN
on different interfaces. For example on some of our brokers we have one
network interface which connects the broker to our internal network and
where we would like to use regular (non SSL) port only. The second
interface connects our external customers which always use only SSL. Right
now we use firewall to allow only regular port from internal network and
only SSL port from external. But it would be nice to have the interface
feature support this scenario.

Thanks & Regards
Jakub

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Andrew Stitcher wrote:

[snip]

> Ideally I'd like to get some of this work into 0.20. And as the
> behaviour is backward compatible I think that's feasible.

I've reviewed this and discussed it with Andrew.  I favor including it for
0.20.

Justin