Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Kevin O'Neil <ke...@verizon.net> on 2005/03/02 20:12:38 UTC

[users@httpd] Error 414

I am looking over my httpd access_log and it looks like I am under attack.

It's not with a GET or POST but using SEARCH

I can't copy and paste but it looks like this \x90\x90\x90\x90..... to
infinity.

My server never ran with more than 50% of it's processor being used, now
it's up over 90% and sometimes breaks 100%.

Anyone else have this happen to them? Is there any way to stop this?

I am stuck. I did a google search, but didn't find any answers on how to
stop this.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: [users@httpd] Error 414

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:12:38 -0500, Kevin O'Neil <ke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> I am looking over my httpd access_log and it looks like I am under attack.
>
> It's not with a GET or POST but using SEARCH
>
> I can't copy and paste but it looks like this \x90\x90\x90\x90..... to
> infinity.
>
> My server never ran with more than 50% of it's processor being used, now
> it's up over 90% and sometimes breaks 100%.
>
> Anyone else have this happen to them? Is there any way to stop this?

Sure, go find the worm-infected computers that are sending them and
unplug them from the wall.

These requests should cause no harm to apache.  I would tend to guess
that it is something else causing your processor usage.  But you
should make sure you are running the most recent version of apache.
And if you are interested in eliminating some of the garbage in the
logs, take a look at this idea:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-httpd-users&m=108994597928722&w=2

Joshua.