Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lastric Igor <la...@galexis.com> on 2002/06/25 08:42:28 UTC

Does anybody know any usage survey on Tomcat

Hi!

I need some arguments to provide to my boss so that I am allowed to install
tomcat as productive server.
There are surveys for using Apache, but I couldn't find anything on Tomcat.
I would prefere to use version 4.
Please help.

mit freundlichen Grüssen / best regards / srdacan pozdrav / meilleures
salutations / med glada hälsningar
Galexis AG
Igor LASTRIC, Fachtechnische Koordination SW-Entwicklung (DDIS/ASW)
Grubenstrasse 11, CH-3322 Schoenbuehl
tel: +41 (0)31 858 73 36 . fax: +41 (0)31 858 78 78 . mobile: +41 (0)79 447
07 70
lastric@galexis.com <ma...@galexis.com>  <
mailto:lastric@galexis.com <ma...@galexis.com> > . <
http://www.e-galexis.com/ <http://www.e-galexis.com/> >

Re: Does anybody know any usage survey on Tomcat

Posted by "Paul D. Bain" <pa...@bigfoot.com>.
At Tuesday 6/25/02 02:42 AM, you wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I need some arguments to provide to my boss so that I am allowed to install
>tomcat as productive server.
>There are surveys for using Apache, but I couldn't find anything on Tomcat.
>I would prefere to use version 4.

Lastric,

         Do you need to know what percentage of web servers world-wide
actually use Tomcat? I shall assume that that's what you want. Well, many
web administrators (admins) enable servlets on their sites by establishing
a connection between Apache and Tomcat by using an Apache module called
"mod_jk," whose usage is growing very rapidly, as shown on this page:

http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200205/apachemods.html?mod=bW9kX2pr

This rapid growth strongly suggests that Tomcat installations are also
increasing rapidly. Of course, this data does not include those
installations that use mod_webapp or mod_jk2 (for use with Apache 2.0),
which can also be used to establish a connection between Apache and Tomcat.
I do not know where to find data on the deployment of these two modules.
Furthermore, some web admins use Tomcat as a web server (as well as a
servlet container), and there is probably no data on those installations,
either.

         You might want to investigate this page, too:
http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200205/apachemods.html

         I hope that helps (HTH).

--Paul Bain