Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Je...@cargill.com on 2005/07/27 17:42:14 UTC

[shale] nightly builds

FYI - The struts-shale-usecases nightly builds for 7/25-7/27 are empty.

Jeremy

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/05, Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote:
> Craig McClanahan wrote:
> > There is also an integration with the standalone version of Tiles that
> > is in the Struts sandbox.  The Shale side of that is stable, but we
> > need a standalone Tiles release to consider the entire thing stable.
>
> BTW, how will that be distributed?  Will it be part of the Struts
> distrobution as a separate jar or will it be in its own distrobution?  I
> guess the real question is do we have to roll a whole nother Struts
> release or will it have its own path?

Shale will be its own distribution, as a separate artifact, released
on its own schedule.  (This is also likely to happen for pieces of
what is now Struts 1.x ... the source repository reorganizations have
been focused on enabling separate releases for, say, the tag libraries
versus the controller core.  That should in turn allow for more
frequent releases.)

> Also, is there a list of remaining todo's for a standalone Tiles release
> or is it just waiting for verification?

We recently updated the code in the standalone version of Tiles to
match the latest and greatest in the Struts 1.3 trunk.  Although I'd
personally like to see more unit tests, this code has been pretty
stable for a long time ... it just needs some folks to verify that it
works, and a release manager to get rolling.  This will be another
separately released artifact from the Struts project, by the way.

> Sorry for all the questions.  I've been out of the loop for a while and
> am trying to catch up.

Not a problem.

> Thanks,
> Greg

Craig

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 7/27/05, Andy Freeman <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How stable are the nighly builds now? I do not see anything on the Shale
> website that indicates a roadmap or plan for a future 1.0 release.
>  thanks,
> Andy

Roughly speaking, I would look at the current stability of each
portion of Shale like this (using stability terms the way that
NetBeans does):

* ViewController - stable (will be small improvements
  in things like handling of application exceptions, but
  the APIs are solid).

* Dialog Manager - evolving.  Needs enhancements to support
  multiple active dialogs in the same page,
  but this *should* be doable without breaking
  existing apps [in my thinking for a 1.0 release]

* Application Manager - evolving. The mechanism by which you
  customize global request processing (adding elements
  to a Commons Chain executed by a filter) is stable
  for 1.0 in a servlet environment, but will need an
  alternative implementation for portlets (likely post 1.0).

* Validation - stable.

* Remoting support - evolving.  Works the way it is,
  but likely enhanced after 1.0.

* Spring integration - stable.  There's experiments
  going on right now to link JSF and Spring WebFlow,
  but that'll be offered to the Spring folks since it won't
  be Shale dependent ... and then Shale users will be
  able to get this support "for free".

* Reusable Views (Clay) - Experimental, still rapidly evolving.

* Test Framework - stable.

There is also an integration with the standalone version of Tiles that
is in the Struts sandbox.  The Shale side of that is stable, but we
need a standalone Tiles release to consider the entire thing stable.

Craig

NOTE TO SELF - must get a roadmap for a 1.0 milestone 1 release up on
the Wiki ...

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Andy Freeman <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: <Je...@cargill.com>

Re: [shale] nightly builds

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
Unfortunately, I am out of town and can't easily address the build
changes that Wendy is working on (and that will be extremely
beneficial to everyone building Shale).  I'll be able to get this
stuff fixed for Friday night's nightly builds.

Craig