Posted to announcements@jakarta.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2002/12/10 06:26:38 UTC

Jetspeed 1.4b2 release available for download

The Jakarta Jetspeed development team has released the latest version of the
Jetspeed Portal Server, version 1.4 Beta 2 (1.4b2). This is our second beta
release, backed by a significant improvement in quality and features.

http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-jetspeed/release/v1.4b2/

This release is full of new features thanks in great part to a very welcome
new committer, Mark Orciuch.
Here is a list of new features implemented by Mark:

    - Parameter Presentation Styles - Data Entry Widgets including
Date/Calendar, ListBox, CheckBoxGroup, TextArea, Custom JSP, Custom Velocity
    - Portlet Preview Mode
    - Portlet Usage Logging
    - Password Expiration
    - Online Profile Import/Export
    - Print Friendly Mode
    - Filtering in User Browser and Psml Browser

* Documentation *

Jetspeed 1.4b2 introduces a new set of documentation to more fully cover the
changes made to version 1.4. We have added the following documents:

    - New 100+ page Jestpeed Tutorial
    - JPortal Application Examples, accompanies the tutorial
    - Jetspeed Axis Integration Guide
    - New Registry Documentation
    - New Layout Documentation
    - New Client Media Documentation

* Dependencies *

We updated as many Jars as we could to the latest versions without breaking
the dependencies.
Most importantly, we are now again in sync with the latest releases of:

    Torque
    Turbine
    Commons
    Hypersonic DB

* Improved JSP Support *

Jetspeed JSP Tag library updated to support internationalization and
Jetspeed Links.
JSP templating engine updated to operate like Velocities, supporting the
same media/language/country fallback algorithm.

* Client and Media Type Registries *

Two new registries have been added to better support new Media Types and
Client agents.

* Jetspeed Security *

Further enhancements to security:
    - New LDAP Security Implementation from Ender Kilicoglu
    - Added "owner rule" to only allow access to the owner of a portal
resource
    - Cleaned up security in default site
    - Add Security to References

** Misc **

    - Allow Customization of Portlet Control per Portlet
    - New File Cache utility
    - CheckStyle added to build