Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by "Hodge, Jeff F (ECIII)" <Je...@yuma.army.mil> on 2003/08/13 21:04:22 UTC

setting httpd for Apache::test

I have perl 5.8.0 with apache 1.3.28, and mod_perl 1.28 installed.  I need
the Apache::Test to be installed as well, as it is a req. for many other
modules.  I'm running into trouble with make test.  Apparently it can't find
the httpd server.  How/Where would I add the path so that this mod will find
the httpd server.  Can I config the makefile or should this be set someplace
else?

<tail make test>

/usr/local/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
t/TEST -clean
*** setting ulimit to allow core files
ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS=
\
/usr/local/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
t/TEST -verbose=0
*** setting ulimit to allow core files
ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
!!! no test server configured, please specify an httpd
or apxs or put either in your PATH. For example:
t/TEST -httpd /path/to/bin/httpd
make: *** [run_tests] Error 1

thanks,

Jeff

Re: setting httpd for Apache::test

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Hodge, Jeff F (ECIII) wrote:
> I have perl 5.8.0 with apache 1.3.28, and mod_perl 1.28 installed.  I
> need the Apache::Test to be installed as well, as it is a req. for many
> other modules.  I'm running into trouble with make test.  Apparently it
> can't find the httpd server.  How/Where would I add the path so that
> this mod will find the httpd server.  Can I config the makefile or
> should this be set someplace else?

The user has to supply that value, let's say it's
/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd, there are two ways to go:

APACHE=/usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd perl Makefile.PL

or

perl Makefile.PL -httpd /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd

Your Makefile.PL should handle this input, you can read more on how to setup
your Makefile.PL here:
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html#Setting_Up_Testing_Environment
with the key parts:

   Apache::TestMM::filter_args();
   Apache::TestMM::generate_script('t/TEST');

You could also do that manually from your Makefile.PL, (if you decide to
prompt your user for this value) and simply push it into @ARGV, e.g.:

   my $httpd_path = prompt_for_httpd();
   push @ARGV, '-httpd', $httpd_path;
   Apache::TestMM::filter_args();
   Apache::TestMM::generate_script('t/TEST');

With this instrumentation 'make test' will work immediately, without it, the
user has to do:

t/TEST -httpd /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd

to run the test suite.

it's all in the Apache-Test tutorial (if something is missing unclear, just
shout):
http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

Also see Apache::Peek and Apache::Clean modules from CPAN as examples.