Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by fadams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2011/06/26 11:10:41 UTC

Qpid 0.10 make all fails for me (configure is fine)

I've just had a try at making 0.10 (I built 0.8 ages ago and that's fine)

./configure ran fine and completed

I tried make all.

It got as far as making the tests and seemed to die when making cluster_test

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests'

Seemed to make most of these OK then I got issues with "*** cluster.so is
not portable!
" and a bunch of "../.libs/cluster.so: undefined reference to "

I've included the last breath of the make below.

I guess that I can probably hack with makefiles and get it working, but I'm
interested to know why it doesn't work "out of the box".

Has anyone else had this problem - is it a bug in the install/make process
or is there something missing on my system.

Like I say above I made 0.8 from scratch fine so I doubt my system has any
real problems.

mv -f $depbase.Tpo $depbase.Po
/bin/bash ../../libtool --tag=CXX   --mode=link g++ -Werror -pedantic -Wall
-Wextra -Wno-shadow -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long
-Wvolatile-register-var -Winvalid-pch -Wno-system-headers
-Woverloaded-virtual -DBOOST_TEST_DYN_LINK -g -O2  -L/usr/lib/openais
-L/usr/lib64/openais -L/usr/lib/corosync -L/usr/lib64/corosync -o
cluster_test cluster_test.o unit_test.o ClusterFixture.o ForkedBroker.o
PartialFailure.o ClusterFailover.o
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../libqpidclient.la
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../libqpidbroker.la ../cluster.la
-lboost_unit_test_framework

*** Warning: Linking the executable cluster_test against the loadable module
*** cluster.so is not portable!
libtool: link: g++ -Werror -pedantic -Wall -Wextra -Wno-shadow
-Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wno-long-long
-Wvolatile-register-var -Winvalid-pch -Wno-system-headers
-Woverloaded-virtual -DBOOST_TEST_DYN_LINK -g -O2 -o .libs/cluster_test
cluster_test.o unit_test.o ClusterFixture.o ForkedBroker.o PartialFailure.o
ClusterFailover.o  -L/usr/lib/openais -L/usr/lib64/openais
-L/usr/lib/corosync -L/usr/lib64/corosync
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidclient.so
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidbroker.so
../.libs/cluster.so -lboost_unit_test_framework -Wl,-rpath
-Wl,/usr/local/lib/qpid/daemon
../.libs/cluster.so: undefined reference to
`qpid::framing::AMQP_AllProxy::ClusterConnection::queueFairshareState(std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&, unsigned char,
unsigned char)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidbroker.so:
undefined reference to
`qpid::sys::ClusterUnsafeScope::~ClusterUnsafeScope()'
../.libs/cluster.so: undefined reference to
`qpid::framing::AMQP_AllProxy::ClusterConnection::managementSetupState(unsigned
long, unsigned short, qpid::framing::Uuid const&, std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&,
std::basic_string&lt;char, std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;,
std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidclient.so:
undefined reference to
`qpid::framing::MethodBodyDefaultVisitor::visit(qpid::framing::ClusterConnectionConfigBody
const&)'
../.libs/cluster.so: undefined reference to
`qpid::framing::AMQP_AllProxy::ClusterConnection::config(std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidbroker.so:
undefined reference to
`qpid::log::Logger::reconfigure(std::vector&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> >,
std::allocator&lt;std::basic_string&lt;char, std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;,
std::allocator<char> > > > const&)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidbroker.so:
undefined reference to
`qpid::management::Manageable::AuthorizeMethod(unsigned int,
qpid::management::Args&, std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidclient.so:
undefined reference to
`qpid::framing::MethodBodyDefaultVisitor::visit(qpid::framing::ClusterConnectionQueueFairshareStateBody
const&)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidclient.so:
undefined reference to `qpid::SaslFactory::create(std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&,
std::basic_string&lt;char, std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;,
std::allocator<char> > const&, std::basic_string&lt;char,
std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;, std::allocator<char> > const&,
std::basic_string&lt;char, std::char_traits&lt;char&gt;,
std::allocator<char> > const&, int, int, bool)'
/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests/../.libs/libqpidbroker.so:
undefined reference to `qpid::sys::ClusterUnsafeScope::ClusterUnsafeScope()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [cluster_test] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src/tests'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/fadams/java/qpid-0.10/cpp/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid 0.10 make all fails for me (configure is fine)

Posted by Zane Bitter <zb...@redhat.com>.
On 27/06/11 20:17, fadams wrote:
> Now there's a thought.
>
> I do indeed have 0.8 installed and I've got my LD_LIBRARY_PATH pointing to
> /usr/local/lib where it's installed.

This is most likely the cause of the problem. LD_LIBRARY_PATH can be
handy for development/debugging, but you never want to run with it set
as a matter of course.

cheers,
Zane.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Fraser,

My gut says Gordon nailed it with the stray library confusing things.

FYI, cmake is an alternate build mechanism that takes the place of
"bootstrap"
 and "configure" in the build you ran. I don't think it'll fix the issue
you reported, but if you want to try it, I believe the instructions are
in the README - it's the same source kit/checkout as you have now.

-Steve

--
Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation
Total Lifecycle Support for Your Networked Applications

Posted by fadams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Now there's a thought.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 06/30/2011 10:05 AM, fadams wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Thanks for all the help so far - here's an update....
>
> I tried Alan's suggestion "Try moving/removing /usr/include/qpid and
> rebuilding" neat idea, but unfortunately it still barfed.
>
> I then followed Gordon's train of thought about the old 0.8 libraries (my
> 0.8 install is in /usr/local so I just mv'd /usr/local to /usr/xlocal
> temporarily) and the 0.10 make all now works wooo hooo (haven't tried make
> install yet).
>
> So far so good, I can actually build 0.10, but what I really wanted to do
> was to build 0.10 in addition to my 0.8 (we're currently using 0.8
> operationally so I wanted to start playing with 0.10 and
> comparing/regression testing things etc.).
>
> I've just tried putting my /usr/local back and trying the 0.10 build with
> ./configure --prefix=/home/fadams/qpid-0.10-test but unfortunately that
> barfs at the same place as my original problem
>
> I'm thinking that the only way that I can build and install multiple
> versions is to build them both into "non-standard" locations using prefix=

That is the way to go. The build system tries to avoid picking  up stuff from
the install prefix but clearly it's not 100% successful. Even if you get past
the build problem you may then run into runtime problems as qpidd tries to load
configuration from <prefix>/etc and modules from the <prefix>/lib. The make
check tests are supposed to use --no-module-dir and --no-config-dir to avoid
this but when running tests by hand its a pain.

> Is anyone else successfully running multiple versions? If so what sort of
> install strategy are you using?

Same thing - different prefixes. In my case I usually have an RPM packaged
version in /usr and my own build in ~/install. I still manage to shoot myself in
the foot occasionally by forgetting about external modules (e.g. the msgstore)
that are hanging around in ~/install/lib from an old build. rm -rf ~/install
solves the problem.

BTW if you're building and installing a lot you can do make install-exec, which
doesn't install all the devel headers and so is much faster. (This won't work on
revisions before 1083077)

Cheers,
Alan.

Posted by Zane Bitter <zb...@redhat.com>.
On 30/06/11 11:05, fadams wrote:
> Hi guys,
> Thanks for all the help so far - here's an update....
>
> I tried Alan's suggestion "Try moving/removing /usr/include/qpid and
> rebuilding" neat idea, but unfortunately it still barfed.
>
> I then followed Gordon's train of thought about the old 0.8 libraries (my
> 0.8 install is in /usr/local so I just mv'd /usr/local to /usr/xlocal
> temporarily) and the 0.10 make all now works wooo hooo (haven't tried make
> install yet).
>
> So far so good, I can actually build 0.10, but what I really wanted to do
> was to build 0.10 in addition to my 0.8 (we're currently using 0.8
> operationally so I wanted to start playing with 0.10 and
> comparing/regression testing things etc.).
>
> I've just tried putting my /usr/local back and trying the 0.10 build with
> ./configure --prefix=/home/fadams/qpid-0.10-test but unfortunately that
> barfs at the same place as my original problem

Hi Fraser,

Paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH are searched before *any* other paths, so as
long as you have /usr/local/lib in there it will continue to override
everything else.

To get qpid compiling, you could do:
$ unset LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/fadams/qpid-0.10-test
$ make

But the real solution is not to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH globally in the
first place.

cheers,
Zane.

Posted by fadams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Another update

Everything is now sorted, I can switch between 0.10 and 0.8 happily now

Thanks again everyone.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 06/27/2011 01:43 PM, Gordon Sim wrote:
> On 06/27/2011 06:33 PM, fadams wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> The build I attempted was from a download of the full source release from
>> the official qpid download page.
>>
>> Full source release qpid-0.10.tar.gz [PGP]
>>
>> I had to run ./bootstrap to generate the configure script. Then ran
>> ./configure followed by make all
>>
>> If there is a problem with makefile problems I'm sort of surprised it hasn't
>> been reported before as I'm doing no more that a basic ./bootstrap
>> ./configure make all on the "official" download.
>>
>> Am I the only one experiencing build problems?
>>
>> I'm running Ubuntu Studio based on the Karmic release of Ubuntu.
>>
>> by "Have you tried rebuilding from a completely clean checkout?" do you mean
>> taking a subversion checkout.? I haven't tried this - to be honest I'm not
>> that confident with subversion so I'm not sure I'd pull the right version -
>> is it as simple as doing "svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/trunk"
>> to get the latest?

Rebuilding from a clean download should be sufficient, you shouldn't have to go
to SVN.

>> Slightly related IIRC when I build 0.8 I had a problem doing make install
>> and I had to "hack" qmf.mk a little as libqmfengine.la needed to be before
>> libqmf.la otherwise I got a dependency problem I noticed that the order is
>> still "wrong" in 0.10 (though I didn't get far enough in the make for this
>> to trip me yet)
>>
>> I'd be grateful for any more pointers and I'm interested to know if it's
>> really just me :-)
>
> Do you have an older version installed on the box you are building on? I wonder
> if its picking up an older library somehow.

Given the errors you reported I think it's more likely that your build is
picking up old header files from /usr/include rather than the header files in
the source tree. Try moving/removing /usr/include/qpid and rebuilding. There may
still be a makefile bug to consider here as the include paths should be set up
to prefer the headers from the source tree over /usr/include.

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.

Posted by fadams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.