Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by John Barrow <jb...@gmail.com> on 2022/02/23 12:12:35 UTC

.jsp files showing exceptions

Hi,

Similar to the previous email (sent a few minutes ago), I am working
with the Tomcat project and NetBeans is reporting exceptions on a few
of the .jsp files. I have attached screen shots of one (very basic)
.jsp file and I can't seem to resolve the exception. I suspect that it
is some sort of configuration issue in NetBeans / project definition
of Tomcat. Again, Tomcat is an Ant based project.

I have googled around and found very old reported issues with Eclipse
lying about exceptions, but not about NetBeans and so wondering if
this is something I should just ignore.

I used the lightbulb at the top right-hand-side of the file to disable
HTML error checking for this file but that didn't have any effect.

Again, attached three screen shots of the exceptions reported. While
not an expert, this 'Hello World' jsp page looks to be valid with it
just including a simple string expression.

Thanks

John

RE: .jsp files showing exceptions

Posted by John <jb...@gmail.com>.
Juan,

Firstly, thanks for taking an interest in my issue regarding .jsp files and
possibly taking on the challenge of installing Tomcat development environment
to investigate this.

To answer your questions from the last few emails,

Running Netbeans 12.6 on Windows 10 with JDK 17, although Tomcat is currently
built with 11, but using either JDK yields the same issue.

In essence, all I was trying to do was get Tomcat to compile and deploy on my
local machine

So I forked and cloned a copy of main from https://github.com/apache/tomcat
into its own folder (C:\Community in my case, to keep it separate from my
local developments) .

I worked through the BUILDING.txt file (Build & Test) – note ‘ant test’ takes
35 minutes on a 4 core i7 chip!

Then CONTRIBUTING.md (ant ide-netbeans) that creates a free form project with
an nbproject folder containing a number of files, including project.xml

There are a few issues with the quality of the project.xml file (that I am
still working through with Tomcat) but this doesn’t affect the two issues I
reported to Netbeans (rogue [!] for no reason and [!] for some .jsp files.

I have attached the version of project.xml that I am using and you can do a
text compare to see the differences.

You don’t need to run Tomcat to see the issues that appear in the Projects
window, but if you do then

CMD prompt (if Windows, don’t know the UNIS equivalent)

cd output\build\bin (from the folder you cloned Tomcat into)

catalina.bat run

launches Tomcat, Ctrl-C to terminate the session

I have successfully done all this and so if you have issues, rather than
spending ages trying to resolve them, happy to share my experience.

John

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.

--
-Juan Algaba

RE: .jsp files showing exceptions

Posted by John <jb...@gmail.com>.
Juan,

Just to be clear, Tomcat provides all the scripts to build the NetBeans
environment, all you need to do is open an existing project in NetBeans once
you have finished the instructions within the two files contained in the
previous email!

John

Also HOW, did you open the tomcat source code using netbeans? Netbeans

as far as I'm aware, won't recognize ant projects without modification

like it does with maven, it needs to generate an IDE-generated ant

script (i.e. build.xml), ¿Did you use the "new project with existing

sources"? ¿What options did you select during that wizard?

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 3:57 PM Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx> wrote:

> Would you mind telling us exactly what branch/commit did you clone

> tomcat from so that people can try reproducing your issue?

> https://github.com/apache/tomcat

> Also, have you modified build.xml after cloning the project? (e.g.

> adding <import file="nbproject/build-impl.xml"/> )

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 4:13 AM John Barrow <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi,

> > Similar to the previous email (sent a few minutes ago), I am working

> > with the Tomcat project and NetBeans is reporting exceptions on a few

> > of the .jsp files. I have attached screen shots of one (very basic)

> > .jsp file and I can't seem to resolve the exception. I suspect that it

> > is some sort of configuration issue in NetBeans / project definition

> > of Tomcat. Again, Tomcat is an Ant based project.

> > I have googled around and found very old reported issues with Eclipse

> > lying about exceptions, but not about NetBeans and so wondering if

> > this is something I should just ignore.

> > I used the lightbulb at the top right-hand-side of the file to disable

> > HTML error checking for this file but that didn't have any effect.

> > Again, attached three screen shots of the exceptions reported. While

> > not an expert, this 'Hello World' jsp page looks to be valid with it

> > just including a simple string expression.

> > Thanks

> > John

> > \---------------------------------------------------------------------

> > For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@netbeans.apache.org

> \--

> -Juan Algaba

\--

-Juan Algaba

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.

--
-Juan Algaba

Re: .jsp files showing exceptions

Posted by Juan Algaba <ja...@colef.mx>.
Would you mind telling us exactly what branch/commit did you clone
tomcat from so that people can try reproducing your issue?

https://github.com/apache/tomcat

Also, have you modified build.xml after cloning the project? (e.g.
adding <import file="nbproject/build-impl.xml"/> )

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 4:13 AM John Barrow <jb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Similar to the previous email (sent a few minutes ago), I am working
> with the Tomcat project and NetBeans is reporting exceptions on a few
> of the .jsp files. I have attached screen shots of one (very basic)
> .jsp file and I can't seem to resolve the exception. I suspect that it
> is some sort of configuration issue in NetBeans / project definition
> of Tomcat. Again, Tomcat is an Ant based project.
>
> I have googled around and found very old reported issues with Eclipse
> lying about exceptions, but not about NetBeans and so wondering if
> this is something I should just ignore.
>
> I used the lightbulb at the top right-hand-side of the file to disable
> HTML error checking for this file but that didn't have any effect.
>
> Again, attached three screen shots of the exceptions reported. While
> not an expert, this 'Hello World' jsp page looks to be valid with it
> just including a simple string expression.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

-Juan Algaba

Re: .jsp files showing exceptions

Posted by Jason Abreu <ja...@gmail.com>.
John,

I agree that the files are testing edge-cases.  I have noticed other
issues with NetBeans JSP (and JSF) page parsers that have not been
working.  When using Jakarta EE 9+ (using the jakarta, rather than the
javax, packages) the code completion/suggestions (ctrl+space) do not
show any of my own code; none of my CDI beans appear in the drop-down
for auto-completing my JSP/JSF expressions.  Hopefully, Apache gets on
this quickly and the next version of NetBeans remedies their JSP and JSF
parsers.

I've never had good luck with escaping quotes within in-page
expressions.  To me, edge cases represent exceptions and "sketchy"
practices so I have always looked for another way to accomplish the
task.  If I needed the ${ characters, or a double/quote, on the page as
part of a code display then I'd be sure they were in the String object
from the back-end that was being told to display using EL.  I tend to
believe my pages exists merely to display data, and call actions, from
the back end.  If there's any data manipulation that needs to be done
then I perform it in my business logic so anything that needs to use the
data uses the same rules, for ease of maintenance; the "Encapsulation"
principle of Object-Oriented Programming.

Good luck to you with building Tomcat!

-- Jason Abreu

Posted by John <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: .jsp files showing exceptions

Posted by Jason Abreu <ja...@gmail.com>.
John,

Posted by John <jb...@gmail.com>.
André,

Thanks for your suggestion, I am using JDK 11, the one that Tomcat is
currently being built with and confirmed that it is set in the project.xml
file.

I couldn’t find any other options, apart from setting the default language for
Netbeans to UTF-8,

  * In netbeans.conf
  * Find netbeans_default_options=...
  * Add -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to the end

Unsurprisingly, this made no difference at all.

If you memory is good, do you recall where else I may look to confirm
compatibility?

John