Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/01/16 16:11:37 UTC

Re: CHANGES - Misc. stuff

"Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> *The committer of a change updates the CANGES file by placeing
>  it as a item on the right place when doing the final commit
>  for an issue or task. This is good and bad. The committer must
>  have a global vue of what to include in the file. On the other
>  hand, it saves work for the RM.
>
> *The RM (or another person who can write to the CHANGES file) adds
>  items there when he/she/it :-) have time during the time between
>  the releases. This may have issues because the items added first
>  may not be important in the big picture when the release time
>  comes.
>
> *We (usually the RM) tries to do the CHANGES file ASAP on release
>  day (or the evening/day before, depending on time, timezones etc)
>  and then announce on the dev list that the file are changed.
>  I like this alternative best best because then the committers,
>  observers, wannabies and other interested persons can speak up.
>
> Comments? I go for the last alternative.

Why not do #2, and then do a sweep over the whole file right before
release?  Then you can move or remove less important items, adjust the
overview, etc, yet people will still have had time to review for
accuracy and general inclusiveness.

-K

Re: CHANGES - Misc. stuff

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
"Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> Nits and debate and thoughts about spaces and other "unimportant" stuff.
> I have a strong feeling that many people are eager to do or mean
> something with CHANGES.
> But as I said above: -It may be an exaggeration from me, and nothing to
> worry about. My suggestions may even make some food for bureaucracy.

Oh, I think you're overestimating people's interest in tweaking
CHANGES.  What most people *really* want is for you to do it :-).

(The fact that they review and make comments doesn't mean that they
don't want you to do it, just that they're paying attention.)

Re: CHANGES - Misc. stuff

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Friday 16 January 2004 18.29, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> > What I'm a little bit afraid of here is the danger of bureaucracy,
> > but maybe that's an exaggeration.
> >
> > How about practicing #2 this way:
> > Every "important" item - not every item, are added to the CHANGES
> > file (the committer of an item can this).
>
> I think it's hard for the committers to exercise good decentralized
> judgement about what to include, or how to write it.  (Also, we have
> so many things for committers to remember to do right now, I'm loathe
> to add another one.)

Well, you are probably right.

> What's the "danger of bureaucracy" you're worried about it?

Nits and debate and thoughts about spaces and other "unimportant" stuff.
I have a strong feeling that many people are eager to do or mean
something with CHANGES.
But as I said above: -It may be an exaggeration from me, and nothing to
worry about. My suggestions may even make some food for bureaucracy.

So just plain #2 then.

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/kontakt/ ||
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: CHANGES - Misc. stuff

Posted by kf...@collab.net.

Re: CHANGES - Misc. stuff

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Friday 16 January 2004 17.11, kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> > *The RM (or another person who can write to the CHANGES file) adds
> >  items there when he/she/it :-) have time during the time between
> >  the releases. This may have issues because the items added first
> >  may not be important in the big picture when the release time
> >  comes.
> Why not do #2, and then do a sweep over the whole file right before
> release?  Then you can move or remove less important items, adjust the
> overview, etc, yet people will still have had time to review for
> accuracy and general inclusiveness.

What I'm a little bit afraid of here is the danger of bureaucracy, but
maybe that's an exaggeration.

How about practicing #2 this way:
Every "important" item - not every item, are added to the CHANGES file
(the committer of an item can this).
Then the day before release (or something) a draft for the new CHANGES
file are announched on the dev list.

?

J.