Posted to dev@community.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/26 15:12:27 UTC

comdev-website: why are files named __index.md rather than _index.md?

Most of the index files are named __index.md, except for one which is _index.md.

Why is this?

Do they serve a different purpose?

Sebb

Re: comdev-website: why are files named __index.md rather than _index.md?

Posted by Roy Lenferink <rl...@apache.org>.
Thanks for asking this and pointing out the empty pages Sebb!

The __index.md was a suggested workaround on the Hugo forums (can't find
an exact reference).

This workaround was needed because the community.apache.org website used a
combination of different URLs, e.g.:

/about/
/committers/
/committers/voting.html
/newcommitter.html
/newbiefaq.html

By default having the example file structure below, Hugo will generate
a directory for every file, e.g.:

source/about/_index.md => target/content/about/index.html
source/about/some-page.md => target/content/about/some-page/index.html
source/some-page.md => target/content/some-page/index.html

Because comdev uses a combination of different URLs and I didn't
want to break existing URLs, we use an option called uglyURLs [1].

This allows for e.g.:

source/about.md => target/content/about.html
source/some-page.md => target/content/some-page.html

To still allow a top level file (e.g. /about/index.html) I created the
__index.md files (double underscore), because this was suggested as
a workaround for above /some-page.html and /some-page/ URLs.

I just noticed that Hugo supports the 'url' part in Markdown files now [2],
which IIRC wasn't an option with the Hugo release we were using before
(or I missed the existence of that option). This seems to better fit for
what we want and also won't generate the empty pages listed by Sebb.

I have gone ahead and updated the __index.md to the Hugo advertised
_index.md [3] and use the 'url' option [4]

I hope this explains it a bit, if additional details are needed let me know
and
I'll try my best to write them down :-)

[1]
https://github.com/apache/comdev-site/blob/ae48404766416af1bbd0d72d3cdc8f323d5d293e/hugo.toml#L9