Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Yuri <yu...@rawbw.com> on 2009/08/05 23:42:28 UTC

Is it possible to merge branch changes in the working directory into trunk working directory only having read-only access to repository?

I have a read-only access to the repository and made many changes into a
very old branch of the project.
This branch was merged (by others) with the trunk few times.
How can I merge my changes back to trunk, and then to the current
version with the minimal efforts?
'svn merge' asks me the revision range that I would like to merge into
trunk (-r XXXX:YYYY), but I can't get a revision number because I can't
check this branch in. It's only a working copy.
My final goal is to make a patch to the current version and submit to
people developing it.

Thank you,
Yuri

Re: Is it possible to merge branch changes in the working directory into trunk working directory only having read-only access to repository?

Posted by Rob van Oostrum <rv...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 12:37 PM, Les Mikesell<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tyler Roscoe wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:42:28PM -0700, Yuri wrote:
>>> I have a read-only access to the repository and made many changes into a
>>> very old branch of the project.
>>> This branch was merged (by others) with the trunk few times.
>>> How can I merge my changes back to trunk, and then to the current
>>> version with the minimal efforts?
>>> 'svn merge' asks me the revision range that I would like to merge into
>>> trunk (-r XXXX:YYYY), but I can't get a revision number because I can't
>>> check this branch in. It's only a working copy.
>>
>> Are you saying that you have uncommitted changes that you want to merge
>> into a trunk working copy? If so, then svn can't help you because, as
>> you observed, you can't commit and therefore svn has no way to know
>> about your changes.
>>
>> I would just use diff and patch by hand (or the appropriate windows
>> versions of these tools). This is (basically) what svn does under the
>> hood anyway.
>
> I haven't done this, but I think you should be able to use svn diff to
> generate a patch file of your changes against the base you checked out.
> Then you can check out the current trunk, apply the patch (with whatever
> adjustments it takes to accommodate other changes), then svn diff that
> version to get a patch someone with commit access could easily apply.
>
> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell@gmail.com

Or you 'svn switch' to the new base URL and create the 'svn diff' that way.
That essentially does the patch -> clean checkout -> apply patch to new
working copy for you in one step.
You probably want to do this off of a copy of your current working copy
though. That way you still have the status quo to fall back on in case it
gets messy.
Hope this helps,

Rob

--
Polarion Software

Subversion Training & Consulting Services |
http://www.polarion.com/services/index.php

Download Eclipse bundled with Subversive  today! |
http://www.polarion.com/products/eclipse/

Posted by Les Mikesell <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tyler Roscoe <ty...@cryptio.net>.
On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:42:28PM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> I have a read-only access to the repository and made many changes into a
> very old branch of the project.
> This branch was merged (by others) with the trunk few times.
> How can I merge my changes back to trunk, and then to the current
> version with the minimal efforts?
> 'svn merge' asks me the revision range that I would like to merge into
> trunk (-r XXXX:YYYY), but I can't get a revision number because I can't
> check this branch in. It's only a working copy.

Are you saying that you have uncommitted changes that you want to merge
into a trunk working copy? If so, then svn can't help you because, as
you observed, you can't commit and therefore svn has no way to know
about your changes.

I would just use diff and patch by hand (or the appropriate windows
versions of these tools). This is (basically) what svn does under the
hood anyway.

tyler