Posted to user@ambari.apache.org by Malathi <ma...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/29 09:02:54 UTC

ambari alerts tutorial for a beginner

Hi,

I am using ambari 2.0 for the past few days and I use ambari deployed with
cloudbreak and persicope by sequenceIQ. Hence while testing alerts, I found
that few of the alerts are not working. Hence I want to dig further on why
the alerts are not working as expected. But I couldn't come across any
documentation that explain the alerts system in detail like understanding
what the alert does. I have attached a sample alert definition. If there is
any such documentation can somebody please share the same?

Regards,
Malathi

Re: ambari alerts tutorial for a beginner

Posted by Jonathan Hurley <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
The text that you posted is for a METRIC alert, which uses 1 or more JMX properties to calculate a single value to check. Argument {2} represents the result of the calculate, which is found in the “value” field of the alert definitely. In the example you posted, value is:

"value": "{0}/({0} + {1}) * 100"

So, {2} would be the result of that calculation.

On Jun 29, 2015, at 5:57 AM, Malathi <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:

I had a look at the blog post by sequenceIQ here<http://blog.sequenceiq.com/blog/2015/03/29/periscope-ambari-2-dot-0-scale-based-on-any-metric/> and found out how the jmx endpoints are used. I am still not clear on the reporting part in the alert definition,

"ok" :
{
      "text" : "Capacity Used:[{2:d}%, {0}], Capacity Remaining:[{1}]"
}

wherein the arguments {0} and {1} represent jmx data, CapacityUsed and CapacityRemaining respectively. But what does the argument {2} represent? Kindly somebody clarify.

Regards,
Malathi

Posted by Malathi <ma...@gmail.com>.