Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/27 16:28:23 UTC

CMYK/Pantone support

Hi all,

I have inherited a project that's using FOP to create PDFs, and send them to
the printing department. Of course, the printing department doesn't quite
like sRGB color spaces, and they requested the possibility to use the
Pantone color space instead (CMYK being a distant second option). Now, I
have very limited experience with color spaces (read: I knew they existed ..
somewhere ..), so some of this might be entirely wrong (or badly worded).

In the XSL we're using to transform the XML, we're also using external SVG
images. The newly created PDF should be using the Pantone color space. Now,
I wonder: does this mean my SVGs should also be declared in the Pantone
color space, or is this something FOP should take care of (provided that
there is Pantone support, of course) ?

I've seen there is (limited) CMYK support for PDFs, but whatever post/page
I've found regarding Pantone colors, is either complete rubbish (at least
for me), or unanswered.

Kind regards,

Philip

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.
First of all, sorry about replying above, and not inline .. Nabble isn't
really making this easy (or I just haven't figured it out).

Thanks for the extensive reply, much appreciated. It definitely clears up a
couple of things for me (and hopefully others).

I'll have a look at the cmyk functions, see if I can get something to work.

As for the help, *sigh*. I'd do so in a heartbeat, but the truth is I'm
simply preparing a study for this project, and I won't actually be the one
implementing it. And as can be expected, my next project has nothing to do
with XSL-FO, so my chances of contributing something back are very limited.
Plus, like you already said, the barrier to enter is quite high. In order to
write a decent manual, one is assumed to be at least familiar with that
particular field and its corresponding FOP implementation - which I am not.
The only thing I have added is an overflow exception in the layout managers
when an overflow is detected (rather than printing a warning) since I needed
that functionality. It was also raised and proposed on this mailing list but
never actually entered in the bug tracker afaict.

Thanks again,

Phil

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Philipp Wagner-3 wrote:

> Philip Luppens schrieb:
>>
>> Philipp Wagner-3 wrote:
>>> Please have a look at the internet, there are some good articles about
>>> this topic, as it pops up every now and then.
>>>

>> Thanks for the explanation. I already knew most of what you told, but I'm
>> simply struggling with the concept when integrating with XSL-FO. Like I
>> said, there's very limited information when dealing with CMYK (other
>> than:
>> "there's support for CMYK in 0.93" and the source code).
>
> Spot colors (no matter if Pantone or whatever else) are not supported by
> XSL-FO to my knowledge. To specify a spot color in a PDF document, you
> have to give the name of the spot color (= some string without special
> meaning, your printer has to know how to interpret this) and a RGB
> representation of the color so that Acrobat can display it close to
> correct. This RGB-representation can be completely wrong, then you're
> document will look wrong when viewed on screen but will be correctly
> printed (if your printer uses the color you specified in the color name).
>
> See how Xml2Pdf by Altanova solves this problem:
> http://alt-soft.com/Support_kb_color_management.aspx
>
> The first paragraph says it all:
> Xml2PDF supports also a number of conventions (!) for RGB, CMYK,
> Grayscale, Spot and some other colors.
>
> This means, by adding custom attributes (or "conventions", as they did),
> it would be possible for FOP to support spot colors.
>
> Philipp

Thanks a lot Philipp - I'll explore that site further, and see if they
provide a possible solution for my case.

Kind regards,

Phil

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philipp Wagner <ph...@med.uni-muenchen.de>.

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Philipp Wagner-3 wrote:

> Please have a look at the internet, there are some good articles about
> this topic, as it pops up every now and then.

Thanks for the explanation. I already knew most of what you told, but I'm
simply struggling with the concept when integrating with XSL-FO. Like I
said, there's very limited information when dealing with CMYK (other than:
"there's support for CMYK in 0.93" and the source code).

My question about Pantone is something that would probably need to be solved
with the printing department (they said CMYK could do, but they preferred
Pantone). But since I see my wording isn't accurate enough, I'll ask them to
provide a better explanation ;-)

Thanks again,

Phil

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philipp Wagner <ph...@med.uni-muenchen.de>.
Philip Luppens schrieb:
> Thanks for the swift reply. Ok, so, let's me summarize it and please correct
> me afterwards. Like I said, I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this.
>
> So, am I correct when I say that Pantone is not an ICC color space ? So it's
> not like the printing department can just send me an ICC file, which I then
> specify in <output-profile> and everything will be fine ? Bummer :-)

No, Pantone sells color swatches. You go to your printer, say this color
looks nice (on the given paper) and he then knows how to mix the ink
that the color looks like the one you chose.
There is no real way of converting CMYK (or RGB) colors to "Pantone" or
the other way round. Many software applications (like Photoshop) contain
matching tables which give you an estimation of how the color will look
like on a given paper (usually coated and/or uncoated paper). You can
find some of these tables on the internet, but it't not possible to
include them in open source software.
You don't use Pantone colors like RGB or CMYK, they are spot colors or
used for colors like metallic or gold/silver. Usually, a company has a
letterhead with only one specific color, that's specified in Pantone (or
HSK, which is used mainly in Germany, but essentially the same).

Imagine offset printing: if printing CMYK, your printer will have four
plates (one for every color). The pictures are rasterized and the four
colors will mix to give your eye the right color.
If you are printing using some Pantone spotcolors, your printer will
have one plate for Pantone #XX, one for Pantone #XY and so on. #XX may
be a specific green, #XY may be gold and so on. Usually, they are not
rasterized like the CMYK-plates, but contain the solid color (which
means, red and blue won't give you violet).

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Philip Luppens <ph...@gmail.com>.

Re: CMYK/Pantone support

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.