Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch> on 2002/07/22 13:25:20 UTC

Article on JMS logging

Curiously enough, while preparing the JMSAppender section in my book
"the complete log4j manual," I came across the following article
entitled "Develop an Asynchronous Logging Framework using log4j with
JMS and WebSphere MQ". Here is the link:

http://www7b.software.ibm.com/wsdd/library/techarticles/0207_barcia/barcia.html

It touches on the problem of caching connections/sessions and proposes
a solution.  The way com.ibm.logdemo.message.LOGXMLMessage objects are
transformed is interesting as an anti-pattern. The
com.ibm.logdemo.appender.LogClass employs a classical log4j
anti-pattern by calling Category.getInstance() for each log operation.
I don't understand why the author did not just use XMLLayout. The
author writes:

   For this example, we will create a small custom XML type layout to
   demonstrate how log4j message formats may be customized. The intent
   here is not to show XML best practices, just log4j functionality.

But I still don't get it. In any case, it is certainly worthwhile
reading for those interested in JMS logging.

--
Ceki