Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Bjørn Stabell <bj...@exoweb.net> on 2006/05/06 14:56:51 UTC

mod_proxy_balancer questions

I've been playing replacing pound http://www.apsis.ch/pound/ with
mod_proxy_balancer (mpb), and I've run into a few issues that I
thought I'd share here, maybe confirm if I understood things correctly.

1) mpb logs when backend servers can't be contacted, but not when
they are available again
It's important to be able to see when a backend server dies and when
it's available again.
I was hoping for something that could be easily matched against, e.g.:
	backend B alive; taking online [info]
	backend B died; taking offline and moving clients B2 [error]
	backend B still dead [warning] -- regular check
	backend B has come alive again, taking online [error] -- error recovery

2) mpb doesn't warn/ log when switching backend server when
stickysession=on
It's important to know when this happens as it'll probably mean some
user lost his session.
Something like:
	backend B died; taking offline and moving clients to B2; waited S
seconds because stickysessions was set [error] -- maybe even more
serious?

I've been running with loglevel=debug, so I hope I haven't missed
messages like the above amongst all the other messages.

Rgds,
Bjorn