Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Johan Segernäs <jo...@levonline.com> on 2005/04/04 11:47:11 UTC

Razor and ~500k mail/day

I'd like to use razor-check as well on my servers, is it possible to have a
server on one of my own boxes or am I forced to use public servers? Haven't
found any docs around this.

I know it's possible with pyzor but how is it with syncing data?

Guides/howtos around this?

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 08:26 PM 4/4/2005, Ryan Castellucci wrote:
>I actualy emailed cloudmark about this for our installation that
>processes 30k emails to pay, and I got a reply saying that it was fine
>to use thier servers for free. I'd email them and ask.

True, but regardless of what amount of email cloudmark is OK with you doing
for free, you cannot run a local razor server for free. That's a for-pay
option only.

Since the OP wanted to run a local razor server, I was stating that would
not be possible with the free client.

As for doing 500k/day for free, yeah, you can ask cloudmark. However, I
think the network load on your end might kill you without a local server
when pushing 500k/day.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Ryan Castellucci <ry...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 4, 2005 10:36 PM, Daryl C. W. O'Shea <sp...@dostech.ca> wrote:
> Ryan Castellucci wrote:
> > I actualy emailed cloudmark about this for our installation that
> > processes 30k emails to pay, and I got a reply saying that it was fine
> > to use thier servers for free. I'd email them and ask.
>
> Was this before or after the new license came into effect?

It was about two months ago.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.
Matt Kettler wrote:
> Daryl C. W. O'Shea wrote:
>
>>Ryan Castellucci wrote:
>>

>>>I actualy emailed cloudmark about this for our installation that
>>>processes 30k emails to pay, and I got a reply saying that it was fine
>>>to use thier servers for free. I'd email them and ask.
>>

>>Was this before or after the new license came into effect?
>>

> By the way, which new license are we talking about? The one that came
> out in August 2003?
>
> http://razor.sourceforge.net/docs/doc.php?type=text&name=SERVICE_POLICY
>
> Or have there been more recent changes to the license since that one
> which I'm not aware of?

Oops, wrong network service... I was thinking of DCC, not Razor.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by "Daryl C. W. O'Shea" <sp...@dostech.ca>.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Ryan Castellucci <ry...@gmail.com>.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Johan Segernäs <jo...@levonline.com>.
On 2005-04-04 11:03 -0500 or thereabouts, Brian Wong wrote:
> You can also try running your own DCC server.

Working on DCC as well, up and running i 5 hours but I'd like to use
pyzor/razor as well.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Brian Wong <bw...@gmail.com>.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Johan Segernäs <jo...@levonline.com>.

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 05:47 AM 4/4/2005, Johan Segernäs wrote:
>I'd like to use razor-check as well on my servers, is it possible to have a
>server on one of my own boxes or am I forced to use public servers? Haven't
>found any docs around this.

There's no way to do that with the free Razor client.

I'm fairly sure that Cloudmark (the company that runs the razor servers)
does offer a local server setup for large sites, but this is a for-pay
option, not free. I have no idea how much they charge.

(Cloudmark is one of those mixed companies that tries to make a profit on
some of their services, but also tries to give some of their services away
for free)

Re: Razor and ~500k mail/day

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Johan Segernäs wrote:
> I'd like to use razor-check as well on my servers, is it possible to have a
> server on one of my own boxes or am I forced to use public servers? Haven't
> found any docs around this.

Vipul made a post a few months ago about the idea of setting up a Razor
caching plugin for SpamAssassin.  It sounds like what you'd need, and
while there haven't been any follow-ups on the mailing list, it's
possible they may be working on it.  Or they may not have gotten enough
response.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.mail.spam.razor.user/3581

"As regards to Razor2, here's the idea: We can develop a plug-in
to SpamAssassin that keeps an up-to-date hot set of
Razor2/SpamNet signatures on the local machine, has support for
all signature schemes and can identify upto 90% of spam before
it goes through the rest of SA checks. The local Razor2 cache
would be extremely fast (able to process 10s if not 100s of
messages/second), and the cache would be less than 20 Mb in
size. In effect, it will increase both accuracy and throughput
of a SpamAssassin spam filtration setup.

"If enough people are interested, we would provide this as a
commercial service at a nominal cost. If you are interested,
please send me email at <removed> with your thoughts
on the design and pricing."  (His email address is in the archived copy.)

--
Kelson Vibber