Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jayadevan Maymala <ja...@ftltechsys.com> on 2020/07/30 06:51:41 UTC

SynonymFilterFactory deprecated, documentation and search

Hi all,

We have been using SynonymFilterFactory with Solr 7.3. It seems to be
working,
Going through the documentation for 8.6, I noticed that it was deprecated a
long time ago, probably before 7.3
The documentation at this url, for version 8.6 -
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/field-type-definitions-and-properties.html
does give <filter class="solr.SynonymFilterFactory"
synonyms="index_synonyms.txt" ignoreCase="true" expand="false"/> as an
example.
Two doubts -
Does a deprecated class continue working?
Shouldn't the documentation be updated to modify the example?

A request - if the documentation at the url mentioned above has a search,
that will really help. I could find only a Page Title lookup.

Regards,
Jayadevan

Re: SynonymFilterFactory deprecated, documentation and search

Posted by Thomas Corthals <th...@klascement.net>.
Do keep this paragraph from the docs in mind when switching from a
non-graph to a graph filter:

If you use this filter during indexing, you must follow it with a Flatten
Graph Filter to squash tokens on top of one another like the Synonym
Filter, because the indexer can’t directly consume a graph. To get fully
correct positional queries when your synonym replacements are multiple
tokens, you should instead apply synonyms using this filter at query time.

Regards,

Thomas

Posted by Colvin Cowie <co...@gmail.com>.