Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID> on 2018/09/03 07:59:31 UTC

netbeans.org transition at Apache NetBeans Virtual Meetup

Hi all,

According to our poll...

https://doodle.com/poll/xueimbynzam7sri7

...we have a Apache NetBeans Virtual Meetup coming up tomorrow, i.e.,
Tuesday 12:00 CEST.

That time is quite difficult for our US friends -- and also the main topic
to be discussed right now is the transition of netbeans.org to Apache. For
that, we need Oracle representatives and Apache NetBeans representatives to
be available.

On Thursday evening (CEST), i.e., that's in the morning for the US, we have
found a time slot where at least 4 of us involved Robert and me from Oracle
and Neil and Antonio from Apache NetBeans (plus me again with my Apache
NetBeans hat on) are available:

https://doodle.com/poll/yzubnxw9afhcbkxn

Therefore, I propose we cancel the meeting we have scheduled for Tuesday
and meet on Thursday instead, very specifically about the process and steps
to take to smoothly transition netbeans.org to Apache. Please feel free to
sign up on the page above and the location of the meeting is the same as
before, also listed on the page, and everything will be recorded.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: netbeans.org transition at Apache NetBeans Virtual Meetup

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2018 at 22:54, Geertjan Wielenga
<ge...@googlemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/audio-of-virtual-apache-netbeans2

Thanks!  I'll try and figure out the mic levels on this new laptop
before the next one - nothing like a distorted voice saying CAN YOU
HEAR ME?! :-)

In terms of next steps with content, it looks like we're going to go
with proxying old pages rather than redirecting.  I'd assumed this
wasn't feasible (more organisationally than technically) but a couple
of questions that came to mind since the chat.

* How easy is it to put a header / footer banner on all pages of the
old site referring to the transition process (of IDE and website)?
Might seem odd having a page coming from netbeans.apache.org with
Oracle in the footer otherwise?

* Do we have a list of assets (eg. CSS, JS mainly), both paths and
file names, on the old site somewhere?  I'm assuming with proxying
that if we have a CSS or JS file of the same name on the new site and
the old site page refers to it we're going to load the wrong thing?
Quick look suggests we might be OK apart from possibly a couple of JS
libraries.  Mind you, overriding CSS might also be the way to add in
the banner for question one from our side!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: netbeans.org transition at Apache NetBeans Virtual Meetup

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
https://blogs.apache.org/netbeans/entry/audio-of-virtual-apache-netbeans2

Gj

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.