Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Gilles <gi...@harfang.homelinux.org> on 2017/01/10 14:05:45 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Rename "Complex" to "Numbers"

On Mon, 9 Jan 2017 17:56:32 -0600, Brent Worden wrote:
> Are the originally mentioned transforms in or out of scope of
> commons-numbers?

It depends on the scope.
Hence my asking about the name.

There could be a rationale that the transforms are "applications"
of the concept of complex numbers, similarly to the claim that
anything that had the word "random" in its description (such as
for the "sampling" functionality) had to be part of "Commons RNG".

Even though my opinion is still that such a relationship is not
the best criterion for defining scope, including the transforms
was a compromise (to reach consensus about getting things to move
without bumping again the count of "Commons" components).

But I actually prefer to have a "Commons FFT" component that would
depend on the "commons-complex" module of "Commons Numbers".

Then, "Commons SigProc" would define its own FFT interface(s) and
users would be free to bridge them to whatever implementations
they choose.
Alternatively, it is up to the "SigProc" developers to assess whether
they would be happy to include the implementation from "Commons Math",
or directly depend on another (perhaps more performant) library.

Gilles