Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael Lapchuk <ml...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/30 22:38:02 UTC

svn: Authorization Failed

I am trying to get a hang of subversion and am trying to commit my working
copy to the repository. I am working on the comp that subversion and
svnserve are on and I have root access and all of that stuff. When I
checkout a working copy this is how it goes:

>>>svn checkout svn://localhost/root/svn/repos
>A   repos/trunk
>A   repos/trunk/svn_demo.cpp
>A   repos/branches
>A   repos/tags
Checked out revision 4.

All is well and fine and I go edit svn_demo.cpp and then when I go to commit
that to the repository this is what I get:

>>>svn commit -m "comment"
>svn: Authorization failed

The only time that I can actually commit something is when I checkout the
files using:
>>>svn checkout file:///root/svn/repos

I have given anon-users write permissions and I still get the problem.

Also I am trying to do the same thing but over a network so I do:
>>>svn checkout svn://**IP**/root/svn/repos
and it gives me all the files and such but when I go to commit my working
copy back into the repository I get the same error:
>svn: Authorization failed

I see absolutely no reason why it does this and I am really hoping someone
can help me with this. I need the repository running ASAP so I can get
started on a project at work.

--Michael
--
"Those who are ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it"

Re: svn: Authorization Failed

Posted by Michael Lapchuk <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 2:05 AM, Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Michael Lapchuk wrote:
> >
> >             >>>svn commit -m "comment"
> >             >svn: Authorization failed
> >
> Hi,
> It's probably not relevant in your case, but I frequently have such
> issue with a windows repository, and per-directories access rights.
>
> The problem was due to the case-(in)sensitivity: as any read operation
> was granted without authentication, some people was doing their checkout
> using a bad case-format (eg:  "http://svnhost/svn/projectX/trunk"
> instead of "http://svnhost/svn/projectx/trunk").
> no problem for the checkout, the wrong url was properly mapped to a path
> on the server... but committing was not possible, as the url was then
> checked in a case-sensitive way...
>
> regards,
>
> Flo

I don't think the case-insensitivity is the problem as the path I type to
commit over the network (the commit that doesn't work) has the same case as
the path I type when working on the machine with subversion on it (the
commit that does work). Thanks anyway.

--Michael

Posted by Florian Seydoux <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Lapchuk <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 11:43 PM, Ryan Schmidt <
subversion-2008b@ryandesign.com> wrote:

> On May 31, 2008, at 11:34, Michael Lapchuk wrote:
>

>  On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>  On May 30, 2008, at 17:38, Michael Lapchuk wrote:
>>>
>>> I am trying to get a hang of subversion and am trying to commit my
>>> working copy to the repository. I am working on the comp that subversion and
>>> svnserve are on and I have root access and all of that stuff. When I
>>> checkout a working copy this is how it goes:

>>> Checked out revision 4.
>>>
>>> All is well and fine and I go edit svn_demo.cpp and then when I go to
>>> commit that to the repository this is what I get:

>>> The only time that I can actually commit something is when I checkout the
>>> files using:
>>>
>>> I have given anon-users write permissions and I still get the problem.
>>>
>>> Also I am trying to do the same thing but over a network so I do:
>>> and it gives me all the files and such but when I go to commit my working
>>> copy back into the repository I get the same error:
>>>
>>> Subversion caches your authorization information in ~/.subversion/auth;
>>> maybe an incorrect username/password got cached there for the svn:// URL?
>>> Try removing the cache file for that server and retyping your username and
>>> password when asked when you issue the next svn command for that server.
>>>

>> Right now we are just trying to get subversion set up right so we did not
>> put any passwords or usernames yet and in the svnconf.conf file the lines
>> pointing to the username and password databases are still commented out.
>>

> Nevertheless, have you tried removing the file related to this server in
> ~/.subversion/auth? That's still the only suggestion I can think of.
>
> Please Reply All, so your reply goes to the list too, not just to me.

No, i haven't tried removing that file but it will have to wait until Monday
when I get back into work.

--Michael

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.