Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au> on 2012/03/23 06:56:00 UTC

Mozilla-like installation for Linux?

The post below reminds me of an old chestnut.  Linux versions are now
packaged as rpms or debs.  That could be problematic if the installer
works in a way which is incompatible with a particular operating system (OS).

That problem is always on my mind.  Try as I have, I have been unable to find (so far) a Linux OS which suits me as well as my present one.  I have also been unable to find a Linux operating system which supports OpenOffice.  Sooner or later, I will quite possibly have to switch to LibreOffice just because the OO installer borks my OS.

My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.

In other words, the Mozilla software does NOT interfere with the operating system.  It is self-contained.

That may be too big an issue for bugs.  Does anyone think it worth raising the issue and, if so, through which channel?

Terry

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 03/22/2012 10:56 PM, Terry wrote:
> The post below reminds me of an old chestnut.  Linux versions are now
>  packaged as rpms or debs.  That could be problematic if the
> installer works in a way which is incompatible with a particular
> operating system (OS).
>
> That problem is always on my mind.  Try as I have, I have been unable
> to find (so far) a Linux OS which suits me as well as my present one.
> I have also been unable to find a Linux operating system which
> supports OpenOffice.  Sooner or later, I will quite possibly have to
> switch to LibreOffice just because the OO installer borks my OS.

Which distro?

The .deb files install to the /opt directory so there is not
interference with a system installed OO. I have multiple OO's installed
on this system, including the original distro supplied OOo 3.2:

$ locate soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice.bin
/opt/libreoffice3.5/program/soffice.bin
/opt/ooo-dev3/program/soffice.bin
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin
/opt/x-openoffice.org3-x/program/soffice.bin
/usr/lib/openoffice/program/soffice.bin

I'd have to fire up Fedora in a VM to find out where the .rpm files are
installed, but I seem to recollect that they also were installed /opt?

> My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
> discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
> Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
> containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
> Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.
>
> In other words, the Mozilla software does NOT interfere with the
> operating system.  It is self-contained.

That would most likely make things easier for some, more difficult for
others. On the latter; I prefer having separate .deb packages as then I
can cull the unwanted dictionaries etc., before installing. Also, the
program is so large that I find it nice to be able to watch the terminal
log & if a .deb package failed to install, see the error message for
that particular package.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Terry,

A good place for this question would be on the project developer list. OOo-dev@i.a.o

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:59 -0700, Terry wrote:
> I believe you have missed the point.  I have no wish to compile Thunderbird.  My distro supports the Mozilla applications.
>

> I was raising the question of whether the Linux version of AOO could / should be provided in the same way that Mozilla provides Firefox and Thunderbird.

  <big snip>

      Several years ago, OOo did have a generic installation like
several Linux binary programs do. (The uncompressed installation folder
contains a file named "install" that had to be made executable.) The
observation by Sun at the time was that a large majority of the people
downloading the Linux version of OOo had rpm or dpkg for installing
software on their computers. That is when the change was made to
providing ready made binaries for these installers.

--Dan

Re: Mozilla-like installation for Linux?

Posted by Terry <te...@yahoo.com.au>.

Posted by NoOp <gl...@sbcglobal.net>.
On 03/23/2012 02:16 AM, Alan Lord (News) wrote:
> On 23/03/12 05:56, Terry wrote:
>> My recollection is that several years ago there was at least a
>> discussion about the possibility of a package of the same kind as
>> Firefox and Thunderbird.  Mozilla provides a compressed folder
>> containing everything you need apart from plugins and, I dare say,
>> Mozilla could include plugins if it wanted to.
>
> It's not *that* hard to compile mozilla apps from source. That way you
> can have it build for pretty much any linux system.

I'm pretty sure that Terry is talking about a having AOO in a single
.tar.bz2 file that you only need to extract and run the application
command shell.

Re: Mozilla-like installation for Linux?

Posted by "Alan Lord (News)" <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Libertus Solutions
http://www.libertus.co.uk

Re: Mozilla-like installation for Linux?

Posted by Doug Johnson <do...@gmail.com>.
I second the motion!

Doug