Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Hans Bakker <ma...@antwebsystems.com> on 2010/12/02 04:21:32 UTC

jquey

We have a number of new ofbiz features lined up, however they use
jquery...

is it possble to add the jquery libraries earlier then waiting for the
merge of the jquery branch?

--
Ofbiz on twitter: http://twitter.com/apache_ofbiz
Myself on twitter: http://twitter.com/hansbak

Re: jquey

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Seems like it would be prudent to wait until it is merged from the branch given the amount of work going on there already.  Why don't you put your features into the jquery branch as further examples of where it will be utilized?

Cheers,
Ruppert

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
For now you can use the Jira issue. If you feel that the bug is important and will be difficult to track mixed with others please
open a new one

Thanks

Jacques

From: "rohit" <ro...@yahoo.com>

Re: jquey

Re: jquey

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
:) Jacques i planed that issue for tomorrow.

Cheers
Sascha

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Yes, while mucking around with the trunk demo this morning I simply misused the merge (wrong way) and actually I have any conflicts
to handle but a false one.

It's committing...

Jacques

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>

Re: jquey

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Jacques,

Re: jquey

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

From: "Jacques Le Roux" <ja...@les7arts.com>

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Re: jquey

Re: jquey

Posted by rohit <ro...@yahoo.com>.
hi Jacques,

Though i am not sure which is the best choice, but i strongly think that the
jQuery branch should be merged with the trunk, without any further delay,
primarily for these reasons:

1) that the code is reasonably complete,
2) most of the people in this thread have supported the merger of the code
with the trunk, and most importantly
2) that the primary contributor of this work, ie. Sascha, has indicated that
she has both the time and the willingness to address any issue/bugs that may
arise after merging with the trunk.

I think its not too ofter that someone has both the willingness and also the
time to devote to such important transition in code. Hence we should not
risk wasting such valuable man-hours, which otherwise may be available.

Thanks

Rohit

-----
https://www.saanjhi.com saanjhi.com

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
so you have some selenium tests that work on the same pages between
trunk and jquery.

good to hear.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Sascha Rodekamp sent the following on 12/3/2010 11:32 AM:

Re: jquey

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
Good evening,
BJ i'm on you're site. During the migration i tried to keep the old
behavior. So if you're using standard components from the UI you're
instances shouldn't be effected. And let me say that a few (UI) features,
after the migration, are more stable and faster than the old once (i.e. the
lookups).
Another side point to merge in the next days is, that i have this month free
time to fix bugs (which maybe occurs :-))

2010/12/3 BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>

> ofbiz is to me is versatility with letting different implementation work
> side by side.
> the core is that the entities when modified will display at UI level with
> no other changes to code. If you add a field at entity level that field will
> display at the UI level with no more work.
>
> So as long as any effort keeps that philosophy then I have no problem.
> and as long as I can continued to work on my production servers without
> major changes, then I am ok with it.
>
> For those that want to change this, I suggest a different effort so they
> can resolve their requirement but not effect the basic philosophy of ofbiz
> design.
>

> =========================
> BJ Freeman
> Strategic Power Office with Supplier Automation  <
> http://www.businessesnetwork.com/automation/viewforum.php?f=52>
> Specialtymarket.com  <http://www.specialtymarket.com/>
> Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist
>
> Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
>

> Karl Pitrich sent the following on 12/3/2010 7:49 AM:
>
>  I understand that a lot of people have a stake in OfBiz, but for the sake
>> of advancement of the project I strongly believe that a clear and quick
>> decision is necessary, even when it breaks functionality.

--
Sascha Rodekamp
    Lynx-Consulting GmbH
    Johanniskirchplatz 6
    D-33615 Bielefeld
    http://www.lynx.de

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Karl Pitrich <ka...@lusini.com>.
Hi Jacques et al,

there are no real options, IMHO, jQuery is the way to go.

jQuery, like it or not, is now a somewhat established 'standard', allowing corporations to hire consultants and coders for. Additionally, the existing Dojo/Prototype/Scriptalicious codebase is a _mess_ and a lot of work to clean up. Sascha did very good work, also the backend seems much faster with jQuery.

I think that a good fact/opinion collection already has happened on the mailing list, so that a decision can be made. Please prevent whatever happened that prohibited not actually releasing 10.04 until today.

I suggest that, based on the input so far, the three top committers come to a unanimous conclusion and decide where to go and all follow in line. I understand that a lot of people have a stake in OfBiz, but for the sake of advancement of the project I strongly believe that a clear and quick decision is necessary, even when it breaks functionality.

The outcome will outweigh the momentary pain.

Greetings & have a nice weekend,

 - Karl

On 03.12.2010, at 11:47, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> IMO, there are 2 options for releasing branch(es).
>
> * Only one which will be later the official release. The problem is then whether people want to have Dojo/Prototype or jQuery in
> this new release branch.
>
> * Two branches, one which which will be later the official release and one which will not be officially released. I would consider
> it
> as a fork since it would have Dojo/Prototype when the official will have later jQuery. Maybe fork is not really appropriate, but I
> think you get my point.
>
> We could also make 2 official releases. One with Dojo/Prototype and another with jQuery. I'm not quite sure switching from
> Dojo/Prototype to jQuery requires a specific release...
>
> Other opinions, ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jacques
>
> Bruno Busco wrote:
>> Why you think that making a new release branch would create a fork?
>> It will be managed as we manage R10.04 and R9.04 right now.
>> Only bug fixes will be backported.
>>
>> -Bruno

>>> Yes, that's what I have proposed. With another option: to have a branch.
>>> But I think the later is more a fork and I prefer the 1st.
>>>

>>> Oh and +1 on merging in JQuery.  I am all for consolidating/simplifying
>>>>

>>> I think we now all agree on that
>>>
>>> Jacques
>>>

>>> Ryan L. Foster

Lusini GmbH
Karl Pitrich, Chief Technology Officer
Adams-Lehmann-Straße 109, 80797 München

Telefon       +49 89 416170 113
Telefax	     +49 89 416170 190
E-Mail	     karl.pitrich@lusini.com

Sitz der Gesellschaft: München,  HRB 188366
Amtsgericht München, Geschäftsführer: Markus Bohl
USt IdNr. DE 270565360, Steuernr. 152/131/90056

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
+1 ;-)

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Bruno,

From: "Bruno Busco" <br...@gmail.com>
Hi All,

Re: jquey

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

Re: jquey

Posted by Scott Gray <sc...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Bruno,

I guess I missed your original email but what was the reason for creating a new release branch outside of our normal schedule?

Re: jquey

Posted by Bruno Busco <br...@gmail.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Ryan Foster <co...@ryanlfoster.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by "Michael Xu (xudong)" <do...@wizitsoft.com>.
+1

Yeah, I would love such a great Xmas present :-)

Michael Xu (xudong)

Re: jquey

Posted by Marc Morin <ma...@emforium.com>.
+1, always better to merge sooner, get more testing on it...

Marc Morin
Emforium Group Inc.
ALL-IN Software
519-772-6824 ext 201
mmorin@emforium.com

Re: jquey

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
You're welcome

Re: jquey

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Re: Calling selenium from the build XML was jquey

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.
Le 05/12/2010 13:02, Sascha Rodekamp a écrit :
> Hi BJ, sorry for the late response, but i was not at home yesterday.
>   :-).
>
> That was more or less a POC. I tried to create a showcase to test standard
> Application Screens (i.e. a standard ecommerce module). Therefore i created
> the unit tests with the selenium firefox plugin, modifyed the tests for my
> purposes and used them in a little selfmade testing framework. That was very
> simple. It reads test data (i.e user data, orders which should be placed
> ...) from an excel file (Apache POI), creates a list with the neded data and
> called the tests class with the unit tests, from this point selenium did all
> the work, run the test and give me a result.
> That's it. Maybe a little bit uncommon but as i said it was a POC for a
> certain use case :-)
>
> But at the end of the day a think there is a lot of stuff / test cases which
> can be handled by selenium, but i also noticed that it is a lot of work
> creating all the tests...
>
> Hope you get an idea what i was trying to do.
> Have a good day
> Sascha

Hi Sascha,

would it be possible to put all of this in a JIRA issue ? I may need
some of this, and I may also need it to clarify what I want from
Selenium in OFBiz (and work on it later...).

Cheers,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
http://demo-trunk.ofbiz.apache.org/cmssite/cms/APACHE_OFBIZ_HTML#N231EE
OFBiz SeleniumXml
You will get an assertion (or other exception) if the test fails.
this is to run from build.xml
like
ant selelium_orders (not yes in build)_
do you will get a build sucessful if test compelets.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Brett Palmer sent the following on 12/6/2010 4:30 PM:

Posted by Brett Palmer <br...@gmail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I am headed the same way with tests that span components. The Tests are
like a user would do, like adding prodcts, entering an order, and making
changes to data. Also Selenium gives you page layout changes Errors.

though the individual pages are stored on each component, the test are
in the framework that span components.

The problem that Adam addressed was how to build these tests from the
build.xml, not run them.
That to me, is attainable, in the future but requires a lot more coding
work.

the one gotcha I see in self generated tests is you don't get legacy
type of errors for what has been changed, like when an entity has a new
field or one is removed or changed. This is crucial to production
servers and supporting a client.

As I originally said, if a layout(page) is effected by the addition of
Jquey, that will negate tests for those layouts. It would be even harder
to programmatic generate tests using selenium.

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Sascha Rodekamp sent the following on 12/5/2010 4:02 AM:

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Re: jquey

Posted by Sascha Rodekamp <sa...@googlemail.com>.
Good morning chaps

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
I may be missing something, I don't see how to build a scenario of say
doing a orderentry, can be built the say you suggest.
in this scenario, it follows as if a user was inputting data and looking
for results at the UI level.

In simpliest, how would you redifine a element position?

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man
Adam Heath sent the following on 12/2/2010 10:42 PM:

Re: jquey

Posted by Adam Heath <do...@brainfood.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Chuckle
that is what I thought, and I dread more workload to just keep up.
at this point I think you and I are the only ones that have invested in
Selenium

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Erwan de FERRIERES sent the following on 12/2/2010 1:50 PM:

Re: jquey

Posted by Erwan de FERRIERES <er...@nereide.fr>.

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
before I jump I guess I should test.
my thinking was the screens as Selenium would see them be changed, so
the tests would fail.

will try over the weekend

=========================
BJ Freeman
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Jacques Le Roux sent the following on 12/2/2010 12:27 PM:

Re: jquey

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: jquey

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.