Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Ritesh Shrivastav <ri...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/28 19:33:51 UTC

Ability to discover custom plugins, operators, sensors, etc. from various locations

Hi,

I was trying to find if its possible to create custom plugins without
dropping them into `$AIRFLOW_HOME/plugins` (or the directory defined in
`airflow.cfg`).
We can define one location in `airflow.cfg` but I have multiple projects
which will have their own workflows so, ideally I would want to implement
custom plugins (along with operators, sensors, etc.) in those repositories
itself and let them get discovered from there.
Checking through documentation and browsing code I concluded that the only
way to get this done is by ensuring that `$PYTHONPATH` is set to include
directories where these custom modules are stored.

So, I want to ask if there is a better way to handle this?
If not, can `plugins_manager` (AirflowPlugin) be improved to suit this
use-case?

Kind Regards,
Ritesh