Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com> on 1999/08/04 19:21:21 UTC

Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Sun Aug 1 23:45:06 EDT 1999

Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >[freeze on 6th, release on 16th]
> >
> >How does that sound?
>
> Too long.  The tarball should be done roughly 24 hours after
> committing is stopped, to give time for us to test compile our own
> development servers.  After the tarball it takes about 36 hours to
> find out if there are any problems.  If none are reported within those
> 36 hours, and at least three of us have given a +1 to the release,
> then it gets copied to the main sites at that point.  The release
> announcement can occur 24 hours after that.

I disagree.  How many of us can commit to doing the test compilation
within an arbitrary 24-hour window?  I'm also trying to seriously
involve the people on the -testers lists this time, and giving
*them* a 36-hour window doesn't seem very realistic, either;
I don't think it's even very realistic for those of us who
are heavily involved with the project.

> Unless a problem is identified, it will be released on August 9th.

If enough people agree with that, then okey -- but I'd like to see
some agreement, not a fiat statement like that.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://ASFD.MeepZor.Com/>

Re: [STATUS] (apache-1.3) Sun Aug 1 23:45:06 EDT 1999

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
There's also the issue of building a Win32 install package
so people can test it.  Typically that's been a delay factor.
What sort of time do you need, Randy?

Let's have some opinions, folks.  Does anyone besides myself
want a (brief) quiet shakeout time between stopping of
commits and rolling of the tarball?