Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Allan Kamau <al...@onebox.com> on 2000/10/31 22:37:17 UTC

mod_jserv.so needs recompile

Dear Team.
When I installed tomcat to work with the apache version that ships with
RH Linux 6.2, I get the error mod_jserv.so compiled with Apache1.3API
recompile with -DAPI' when starting Apache. It then fails to start.
Kindly illustrated to me the steps I should follow to recompile the same
or to simply solve this problem and have my Tomcat running along side
Apache.
Thank you.

--
Allan Kamau
allankamau@onebox.com - email

Sign Up Now! http://www.onebox.com

Re: mod_jserv.so needs recompile

Posted by Benjamin Reed <ra...@befunk.com>.
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> > When I installed tomcat to work with the apache version that ships with
> > RH Linux 6.2, I get the error mod_jserv.so compiled with Apache1.3API
> > recompile with -DAPI' when starting Apache.
>
> hmmm...
> i'm not an expert but i recon that you have two different issues here. the
> first is getting apache to run with mod_jserv, the second is getting apache
> to play with tomcat. i do have some advice about the first problem...
>
> it might well be that this actually isn't really a problem (or - the
> problem)
> i think that what you've got is a warning not an error.
>
> i run SuSE + get a warning everytime i start apache which sounds very like
> the one that you report

Also, you might want to try out my tomcat (and related) RPMS I've built
at http://www.opennms.org/~ben/ -- the tomcat ones are pretty much a
repackage of Henry Gomez's work at http://rpmized.free.fr/rpms/ to make
them play nice with distros other than RedHat, but I've got precompiled
tomcat and mod_jk/mod_jserv modules for RedHat 6.2+errata, Mandrake 7.2,
and SuSE 7.

--
Ben Reed a.k.a. Ranger Rick (ranger@befunk.com)
http://defiance.dyndns.org/ / http://radio.scenespot.org/

Re: mod_jserv.so needs recompile

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <Ro...@appleonline.net>.
Allan Kamau wrote:

> Dear Team.

> When I installed tomcat to work with the apache version that ships with
> RH Linux 6.2, I get the error mod_jserv.so compiled with Apache1.3API
> recompile with -DAPI' when starting Apache.

hmmm...
i'm not an expert but i recon that you have two different issues here. the
first is getting apache to run with mod_jserv, the second is getting apache
to play with tomcat. i do have some advice about the first problem...

it might well be that this actually isn't really a problem (or - the
problem)
i think that what you've got is a warning not an error.

i run SuSE + get a warning everytime i start apache which sounds very like
the one that you report

     [warn] loaded DSO /usr/lib/apache/mod_jserv.so uses plain Apache 1.3
API, this module might crash under EAPI! (please recompile it with -DEAPI)

(perhaps someone which knows more might like to jump in here) it is my
understanding that EAPI stands for extended API, a set of extensions to the
API which support complex modules. i wouldn't recommend recompiling since

1. the mod_jserv warning is just that - a warning.  (i've never had any
problems running with EAPI);
2. you'll probably break some of the modules shipped with your package if
you recompile without the EAPI.

this warning is not usually fatal (it certainly isn't on my system) - and
quite possibly isn't what's causing the problem.
I've had similar problems with out-of-the-box packages in the past and the
place to start is by examining the apache errors logs. If you can't work
out what's happening from there, try to turn up the logging detail

(if you're new to apache: the location of the error log is given by the
ErrorLog directive and the amount of detail by the LogLevel directive - in
the httpd.conf file)

what you're looking in the log are messages which start with something like
[<date/>][error] since the log might contain warnings which you can
probably ignore. Once you've got an idea of the cause of the problem (it's
probably a permissions problem (the package will probably install stuff
with owner root but apache executes as another user eg. wwwrun) or share
library load order (eg, SuSE 6.4 powerpc has an incorrect SO load order))
you can search the FAQ or ask on an apache web server (or red hat) mailing
list. this list is for java related apache.org projects - and you're
unlikely to get a prompt reply here on - or indeed an accurate one if i
answer your problem ;-) !

hope this helps,
robert

> It then fails to start.
> Kindly illustrated to me the steps I should follow to recompile the same
> or to simply solve this problem and have my Tomcat running along side
> Apache.

PS. you might well have problems getting tomcat to run with apache even
after you've got apache running properly. You might want to get on the
tomcat mailing list -  tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org. those people eat
problems about configuring apache for tomcat for breakfast ;-)