Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> on 2002/11/18 02:37:09 UTC

Struts At ApacheCon 2002

If you're coming to Las Vegas this week for ApacheCon, there will be two
sessions and a BOF specifically focused on Struts:

* Session TU07 (Tuesday, 1:30-2:30) - What's New In Struts 1.1

* Session WE06 (Wednesday, 10:00-11:00) - Building Web Applications
  With Struts

* BOF BOF03 (Tuesday, 8:00p-9:00p) - Struts After 1.1 -- Where Do We
  Go From Here?

The BOF is primarily an opportunity to gather input from folks on our
initial thinking about the 1.2 and 2.0 roadmaps, and to answer any general
questions that people have.

I look forward to meeting any Struts users (and developers) attending the
conference.  You can find me at one of these sessions, or hanging around
the Sun booths in the Exhibit Hall.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Struts Tools

Posted by micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I could not agree more. Huzza!

At 08:10 PM 11/20/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>11/20/2002 2:46:08 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>
>wrote:
> >I think it is time to start packaging tools and generators with
> >Struts to help the developer -- either as standalone packages
> >included for convenience, or integrated into the architecture of
> >the package.
>
>As it stands, there is already a very healthy "add-in" marketplace
>for Struts. I think this is one reason why Struts has become so
>popular, and anything we do should be with an eye toward expanding
>the universe of Struts extensions.
>
>Personally, I am vastly impressed by the community support for
>Eclipse plug-ins. I wold very much like to help create the same
>sort of environment for Struts. I am also vastly impressed by the
>way some Maven-based packages (like Jelly) are able to
>automatically download whatever JARs they need.
>
>What I would like to work toward is an environment where there is
>a distinct Struts core, accompanied by a number of easy-to-install
>standard options (Tiles, Validator, Struts-EL, Console, and so
>forth).
>
>Of course, any third-party options would be just as easy to
>install as the "standards" maintained by the Struts Committers. An
>important idea would be that when we provide standard options, we
>are also demonstrating how others can plug-in their own options
>instead.
>
>-Ted.
>

>--

Micael

have received this transmission in error, please delete the message.  Thank you

Re: Struts Tools

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Re: Struts Tools

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
11/20/2002 3:15:37 PM, Emmanuel Boudrant <b7...@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>Easy Struts will be volunteer ;)

How about us putting together our own distribution of Eclipse,
with things like *, EZ Struts, Console, and so forth, already
bundled in?

Or at least a HOW-TO for putting together a complete Struts
environment in Eclipse?

This would also give people a model to follow to setup comparable
howtos for IntelliJ and so forth.

One thing about Eclipse is that is already (like Struts) an
embarassment of riches. There are so many plugins floating around,
you spend a lot of time just separating the wheat from the chaff
=:0)

For work on the Struts site, I'm finding XML Buddy quite helpful,
but I'm not sure where they will be going with the licensing
later.

Anyone other suggestions for a XML plugin for workign with XML
files? (like those we use at Jakarta)

-Ted.

Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 14:11:12 -0500
> From: Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]
>
> XDoclet already ships with builtin struts-config.xml generation,
> validatio.xml generation, and Struts form bean generation (from entity
> beans, and maybe for value objects?).

Based on which Erik makes a pretty interesting case that DynaBeans don't
add a tremendous amount of value :-).  I still like them as the basis for
future work towards more "dynamic" dynamic form beans, where the set of
properties is not predefined, but auto-generation of ActionForm subclasses
does indeed reduce the delta value.

> I'm not sure what is needed to make the presentation of this stuff
> better, but its all there for the taking and works very nicely.  It
> would be good for the Struts pieces to be maintained by the Struts team
> though.

I think that makes sense as well.  Over time, I'd like to see us
accumulate low-level generation tools (for both Java code and the
appropriate configuration files) specific to Struts in the Struts project
itself, and then expose interfaces to easily invoke these tools via
command line scripts, Ant/Maven tasks, and/or plugin APIs for IDEs.

> 	Erik

Craig

Re: blank.war vs. struts-blank.war [was: Re: Tools in Struts]

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Boudrant <b7...@yahoo.fr>.
Oh yes ;)

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Boudrant <b7...@yahoo.fr>.
Just a question, who is Erik ? ;)

 --- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> a écrit : > The struts-blank.war at SourceForge is the 1.0
version of the

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Re: RE: Tools in Struts [was: Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002]

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Yes =:0)

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
11/20/2002 5:29:24 PM, Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> wrote:
>Would the source reside in jakrata-Struts or just the
applications?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Robert Leland wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:29:24 -0500
> From: Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>
> To: Struts Developers List <st...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Tools in Struts [was: Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002]
>
> James Holmes wrote:
> > Struts Console too.
> >
> > -james

> >>generators with Struts to

> >>Thats a really good initiative
> >>
> >>Easy Struts will be volunteer ;)
> >>
> >>-emmanuel
>
> Would the source reside in jakrata-Struts or just the applications?
> The reason I ask is that for speed of evolution it might
> be reasonable to keep/place the source code on
> SourceForge, in an open community. That way Emmanuel and James could
> draw from a seperate pool of developers as THEY saw fit.

(I'll expand on my thinking about the roadmap for post-1.1 when I've had a
little more sleep :-).

On this specific issue, it can be done either way -- cohosted in the
Struts project or separate and just binary inclusion.  The only potential
problem for the latter approach is license compatibility for the code to
be redistributed with Struts (the FSF doesn't feel that GPL is compatible
with the Apache software license in this regard, so as a matter of policy
Apache projects do not redistribute GPL'd code.

> Also then they might combine resources and create a hybrid product.
>
> I am not opposed to including the source in Jakarta-Struts, just asking
> a question.
>
> -Rob

Craig

Tools in Struts [was: Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002]

Posted by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org>.

Re: [Nightly] Documentation

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Robert Leland wrote:

> Next time the Nightly documentation is updated,
> I'd like to request that the JavaDoc also be updated.
>  From what I can tell it hasn't been updated for at
> least a month or so. I have read the directions for
> updating the web site, but don't knoe if I myself
> have access to do it ?

FYI, the JavaDocs on the site were updated when I uploaded the 1.1-b3
release plan last night.

--
Martin Cooper

[Nightly] Documentation

Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002

Posted by James Holmes <jh...@yahoo.com>.
Struts Console too.

-james

Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002

Posted by Emmanuel Boudrant <b7...@yahoo.fr>.

Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

> [...]

  form captured in the model.)

* DynaBean in 1.1 only solves part of the "dynamic" needs people
  have.  The next logical step is an abstraction that does not predefine
  the set of properties at all (consider a SQL browser that dynamically
  creates properties for each row based on the column names included in
  your SELECT).  We'll be able to build this on top of the existing
  DynaBean infrastructure much more easily than we could on top of
  standard JavaBeans.

> Take care and hopefully I'll get a chance to chat with you further at
> some point during the week at ApacheCon.

I will be in the hacker's lounge this afternoon (after lunch until 3:30),
and will then be either there or in the Exhibition Hall most of tomorrow.
I'd be happy to sit down and talk some more, although I'm unlikely to have

Craig

Re: Benefits of Dynaforms

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
11/20/2002 3:09:36 AM, Erik Hatcher <er...@hatcher.net> wrote:
>As for DynaActionForm's.... I still don't get their benefit.  Do
>you use them?  Or right ActionForm subclasses?  Its even less
>code to "write" to do a form bean for me, because my IDE
>generates all the getter/setters, and being able to generate
>validation.xml makes it so worthwhile.  :)

The nice thing about DynaForms is that they are a "simple"
solution to a simple problem: I just want to store and validate
some simple properties on the presentation layer before passing
them up to the business tier. Sure some tools can make JavaBeans
very easy to write. DynaBeans are just another one of those tools,
and a GUI independant tool at that. It doesn't matter if you are
using Eclipse or IntelliJ or JBuilder. A DynaBean is a DynaBean.
And before long, I'm sure the IDEs will be helping you code
DynaBeans too =:0)

The truly excellent part is that you can extend DynaActionForm to
create complex helper properties when you need them, or just use
the base class when you don't. YMTD.

But here's the kicker: With the help of the Validator and a
handful of standard Actions, DynaBeans open the door to doing the
~entire~ presentation tier via  XML configuration files. I rarely
write custom Actions any more. With DynaBeans, I may also be able
to get out of writing custom ActionForms.

Ideally, a framework like Struts should just be passing gestures
and data back and forth between the presentation pages and
business tier. IMHO, doing any "real" programming in Struts is an
engineering compromise. Architecturally, we should be trying to
help developers avoid as many "necessary evils" as possible.
DynaBeans serve that purpose by making it possible to avoid
creating and maintaining yet-another Java class, which, in
practice, often encroaches on the business tier.

Before DynaBeans, that practice was unavoidable (or at least
caused greater evils). With DynaBeans, there is a real possibility
that you could code the Struts portion of an application entirely
through XML configuration files, and keep all the "real
programming" on the business tier.

Here's another kicker: Components like the Validator aren't just
for the web tier. You could also be using the Commons Validator in
the business tier, which opens the door to a common Validator
configuration shared by Struts and the business tier.

DynaBeans also have the potential of being the "missing buffer" we
need for data-entry. What about a DynaBean class that included a
"shadow" String field with every dynamic property? (All we need is
another map.) If we integrated a DynaBeanBuffer subclass with the
Validator, we could then declare field-level validations for our
properties. A validate method on the DynaBean could check each of
its buffers, and transfer the datea if validation passed, but
raise a flag if it didn't. We could then finally use the same bean
on the Web tier as we do on the business tier. This sort of thing
is a bear to code with conventional JavaBean, but might be worth
doing with something like the DynaBean.

-Ted.

Re: Struts At ApacheCon 2002

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@hatcher.net>.