Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jeroen Ruigrok <as...@wxs.nl> on 1998/03/01 16:06:20 UTC

Re: Apache in LanTimes

At 01:38 04-03-98 , you wrote:
>Ben Laurie wrote:

>> Jim Jagielski wrote:

>> This stuff kills me:
>>
>> '"One thing about free Web servers is that you don't get a lot of
>> support with them; you do not have a lot of upgradeability; and
>> sometimes function lags a little bit behind the commercial products,"
>> said Steve Lopez, director of systems and technology at the National
>> Board of Medical Exam-iners in Philadelphia. "And because the commercial
>> ones have always been inexpensive enough, we have never really explored
>> free Web servers."'
>>
>> Translation:
>>
>> "I know shit about Apache, but believe me, I don't need to".
>
>"Yes, I am totally ignorant of the fact that free, developer-
>supported software can provide features and fixes much faster
>than sloth-like commercial products. Not only that, but I
>am totally clueless about things like modules and stuff."

Ye even wonder if they know about developer supported software, thus far
all the free server/development lists I am on (Apache, Squid, GnuWin32)
provide me with much more updates than something like Microsoft or Netscape
could ever do...

Ok so one solution may break a feature/portion next month(not likely though
<G>) but no doubt we have about 10 solutions waiting to fix that problem...

Freeware? In my eyes one of the best things out there...

My two cents =P

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven / Asmodai <as...@wxs.nl>
ICQ-UIN: 1564317 .:. Computer Science student, aspiring MCP

Asmodai@IRC or DiVine@IRC
Operator on #ViRC on the UnderNet and Operator on http://www.chatsystems.com

Ninth Circle Softworks: http://www.oshoanand.com/ninthcircle -Not Online Yet-
.:.