Posted to dev@twill.apache.org by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/15 06:23:10 UTC

[DISCUSS] Graduation of Apache Twill incubating

HI All,

I would like to bring up graduation of Apache Twill as top level project.

The community has released several successful releases and have expanded
the PPMC to show openness, and also have done all discussions and
development in the open following the Apache way.

The podling is indeed small, and so far has not attract much contributions
from outside world.
I think it is bc most development apps for YARN are done mostly by
framework developers which sometimes don't mind to spend boiler plate in
exchange for closer control to the lower APIs.

However, I believe Twill community has nothing left to learn by staying in
the incubator.

Any thoughts and comments are welcomed.

- Henry

Re: [DISCUSS] Graduation of Apache Twill incubating

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Hi Henry, thanks for sending this out. Strictly looking at the
graduation requirements on the incubator wikis I think you're in
pretty good shape. I agree the community is small, but that might just
be the way the project is. More the question is is it an open
community that understands the Apache Way and is ready for tlp status.
Can you provide some quantitative insight into progress? E.g. number
of pmc added, committers, etc... diversity of the community. Growth of
the mailing lists. Some hard numbers that could provide concrete
insight and help with the evaluation.

I was recently involved in a discussion on the incubator list around
Sentry graduation. During that discussion someone mentioned the
following document which it seems some folks are using to evaluate
graduation readiness. It's not a requirement of graduation, but how do
you feel the project stacks up when evaluated against it?
https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html

Regards,

Patrick