Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org> on 2004/11/29 18:24:52 UTC

commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)

ok, I talked to justin at #asfinfra and he said that he would prefer that we
come up with a mail format we would like to see so that the default python
mailer could be tweaked and re-given to the SVN folks.  the alternative
would be to use SVN::Notify _and_ mailer.py, which would be two scripts for
the infrastructure team to maintain.

so, we need to come up with a format.  I guess for me, the only thing I'm
still irked about is that the commit message includes lots of unnecessary
path information.  so, I would like to see something like this:

svn commit: r106927 -
/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
/perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

Becomes:

svn commit: r106927 - src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

since the branch information (/trunk or /branches) comes out under the
Modified header in the email, I don't see why we wouldn't want to truncate
to that point.

any other opinions?  once we come up with some concrete desires we will
forward them to infrastructure@.

--Geoff

Re: commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>.
On Nov 29, 2004, at 9:24 AM, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> svn commit: r106927 -
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod
>
> Becomes:
>
> svn commit: r106927 - src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

I always hated having the file names in the subject--what if you make
changes to 50 files?? That's why SVN::Notify has a "context" option,
where only the lowest directory in the file tree is listed in the
subject when you've committed again more than one file.

Regards,

David

Re: commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>.
On Nov 29, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Stas Bekman wrote:

> but as Geoff says we can't really use it and stuck with the python
> script.

Yeah, I was just saying, "nyah-nyah-nya-nya-nyah!" ;-)

>>> so I propose to put it at the very end of the subject line.
>> Or in a header? That will be fun for them. ;-)
>
> You mean a new mail header? X-SVN-Trunk? Sounds cool :)

Exactly. Maybe I'll add this to SVN::Notify. ;-)

Regards,

David

Re: commit messages (was Re: another svn problem)

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.

Posted by David Wheeler <da...@kineticode.com>.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Geoffrey Young wrote:
[...]
> so, we need to come up with a format.  I guess for me, the only thing I'm
> still irked about is that the commit message includes lots of unnecessary
> path information.  so, I would like to see something like this:

> svn commit: r106927 -
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> /perl/modperl/docs/trunk/src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod
>
> Becomes:
>
> svn commit: r106927 - src/docs/2.0/api/Apache/compat.pod
> src/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.pod

what's the point of listing all the changed files in the Subject? You
can't see it anyway when it's too long. See the example of the one such
commit in modperl-2.0/SVN-MOVE:

   Subject: svn commit: r105803 - in httpd/test/trunk/perl-framework: .
Apache-Test Apache-Test/lib/Apache Apache-Test/t Apache-Test/t/conf
c-modules c-modules/authany c-modules/client_add_filter c-modules/eat_post
c-modules/echo_post c-modules/echo_post_chunk c-modules/input_body_filter
c-modules/list_modules c-modules/nntp_like c-modules/random_chunk
c-modules/test_apr_uri c-modules/test_pass_brigade c-modules/test_rwrite
c-modules/test_ssl t t/conf t/conf/ssl t/htdocs/modules/access/htaccess
t/htdocs/modules/cgi t/htdocs/modules/rewrite t/modules

it should list just the first entry.

> since the branch information (/trunk or /branches) comes out under the
> Modified header in the email, I don't see why we wouldn't want to truncate
> to that point.

because if we start doing branching one may want to filter the mesages by
the prefix. (even though one could filter by matching against the body as
well). But normally I don't want to see it in the subject.

so I propose to put it at the very end of the subject line.

> any other opinions?  once we come up with some concrete desires we will
> forward them to infrastructure@.

As written in SVN-MOVE doc:

   Proposed Subject format:

   $svn_id $first_subdir/$first_file ($trunk)

I doubt we should waste the crucual first chars that fit into the mailer
line with 'svn commit:' prefix.