Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> on 2003/09/11 01:27:31 UTC

release beta-11?

I'm wondering whether we should release a final beta from what is in CVS
now.
Reasoning:
- has plugin dependencies & downloading
- has some reasonably frequently asked Q's already fixed (like multiproject
bugs)
- RC1 seems a little while off still, and the last big change has a large
risk of introducing more bugs.
- beta-11 should be the last release with monolithic plugin releases. RC1
should come with just the core ones and an easy download mechanism

Thoughts on plugin releases:
- with b11 out and plugin dependencies working (as well as traditional
download and install), all -SNAPSHOT plugins should be pushed towards a
release sooner rather than later.
- non-core plugins should be moved to a maven-plugins repository as
previously existed alongside maven-new
- some things maven uses (like the PMD report) may not be core plugins - it
may well have dependencies on them.

Thoughts? Are the plugin goals to ambituous for an RC1 timeframe?

Cheers,
Brett

--
Brett Porter
Team Leader, Core Systems

Re: release beta-11?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de> wrote on 11/09/2003 08:25:30 PM:

> To be honest, I don't really care how the next release is named, as soon
> as it comes in a few weeks ;-)

I hear ya.

> IMHO the essential questions are:
>
> 1) which will be the first rel with the memory leak be fixed ?

There's more than one memory leak :-)

> 2) which will be the first rel with all plugins decoupled ?

I don't even think this is on a roadmap.

> If the answer is "1.0 (final)" for both questions then IMHO a 1.0-RC1
> needs to have these features.

Bah,
a fixed memory leak isn't a feature. an RC could have the leak and the 1.0
fix it, it's just a bug.

> On the other hand, when will 1+2 be available?

When someone gets the time and energy to finish them.

AFAIK, 2) can be achieved today. I'd prefer NOT to decouple *all* the
plugins. Seems like a damn silly idea.

> Probably users will be happy with a in-between-beta11 release which does
> not have 1) and 2).
>
> release early, release often :-)

The only core change I can think of that warrants a new beta is that there
were classes moved from beta10 to now which means rc1 plugins don't work
in b10.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting

Re: release beta-11?

Posted by Martin Skopp <sk...@riege.de>.
On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 01:27, Brett Porter wrote:
> I'm wondering whether we should release a final beta from what is in CVS
> now.

To be honest, I don't really care how the next release is named, as soon
as it comes in a few weeks ;-)

IMHO the essential questions are:

1) which will be the first rel with the memory leak be fixed ?
2) which will be the first rel with all plugins decoupled ?

If the answer is "1.0 (final)" for both questions then IMHO a 1.0-RC1
needs to have these features.

On the other hand, when will 1+2 be available?
Probably users will be happy with a in-between-beta11 release which does
not have 1) and 2).

release early, release often :-)
--
Martin Skopp
Riege Software International GmbH
Support: mailto:maint@riege.com, Information: http://www.riege.com

This email is intended to be viewed with a nonproportional font.
Public Key on http://www.keyserver.net, Key-ID: 3D4027B5
Fingerprint: 1970 C78D 9A1D 99FA 5CE4  5C0D 29E6 6A95 3D40 27B5

Re: release beta-11?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 20:33, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> I'd rather stick with the roadmap we have. If the memory leak is taking
> too long, lets move it to 1.0-final.

I think what is most important is a release that allows the decoupling
of the plugins.

There are also a lot of fixes that could probably go out too. Even with
the current memory leak I think an RC1 could go out. As mentioned I
think we have a lot of bugs to fix but I think any features people want
can wait until 1.1 or later. A lot of the issues against 1.0-final are
also plugin specific and many of those could be shunted off against
plugins.

I'm for an RC1 soon even with the leak. I don't think we're planning on
adding anything anyway until 1.0 is out.

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/
>

> Brett Porter <bp...@f2network.com.au> wrote on 11/09/2003 09:27:31 AM:
>
> > I'm wondering whether we should release a final beta from what is in CVS
> > now.
> > Reasoning:
> > - has plugin dependencies & downloading
> > - has some reasonably frequently asked Q's already fixed (like
> multiproject
> > bugs)
> > - RC1 seems a little while off still, and the last big change has a
> large
> > risk of introducing more bugs.
> > - beta-11 should be the last release with monolithic plugin releases.
> RC1
> > should come with just the core ones and an easy download mechanism
> >
> > Thoughts on plugin releases:
> > - with b11 out and plugin dependencies working (as well as traditional
> > download and install), all -SNAPSHOT plugins should be pushed towards a
> > release sooner rather than later.
> > - non-core plugins should be moved to a maven-plugins repository as
> > previously existed alongside maven-new
> > - some things maven uses (like the PMD report) may not be core plugins -
> it
> > may well have dependencies on them.
> >
> > Thoughts? Are the plugin goals to ambituous for an RC1 timeframe?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brett
> >
> > --
> > Brett Porter