Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID> on 2023/01/30 18:03:32 UTC

NetBeans Plugin Verification - Changing Rules - suddenly not good enough anymore

Hi,

I asked for reverification of three plugins. These plugins:

- PlantUML-NB
- LDIF Editor
- LDAP Explorer

are verified for NB 11.0/12.0 till NB 16 version. Nothing was changed
on the plugins for 17 and now the plugins are not good enough anymore.
So what is going on?

They are rejected, because they are not signed, fine, but then why is
that an issue? The signatures gain you nothing as there is no trust
anchor, we don't distribute blocked author certificates and the
download from plugin portal is protected by the checksums.

This is bogus, so what changed and why was this not communicated? I
assume, that I was not the only one suprised by this. What is more, I'd
need to do a full release cycle without any code changes, without any
benefit.

Greetings

Matthias

PS: Jiří I added you to direct CC as I'm not sure how closely you
monitor dev@

Re: [External] : No communication from plugin portal verifiers (do we need to drop plugin portal?)

Posted by Scott Palmer <sw...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 3:28 PM Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Isn’t the whole reason for signed plugins to ensure they are provided by a
> trusted source and not tampered with by bad actors?  If no signing, does
> that add a risk of possible tainted plugins with malicious intent?
>
> Eric

That should be the case. Of course that also means that self-signed plugins
shouldn't be accepted either.

Jiří Kovalský: wrote:
> > It says nothing about not signed plugins but we came to the conclusion
> > that if self-signed plugins are explicitly tolerated then not-signed one
> > should not.

Which seems backwards to me.  If you allow self-signed, which is
effectively useless for verifying anything, then you should allow
not signed as it has the same security.

If certificate authorities weren't overcharging so much for a signing
certificate it wouldn't be an issue for Open Source developers that are
essentially working for free - who can afford to maintain a signing
certificate for free work?
Perhaps NetBeans/Apache should create certificates for plugin developers or
offer a signing service?

Scott

Posted by Michael Bien <mb...@gmail.com>.
all plugins of the plugin portal which were verified against your
version of NetBeans will be shown in the plugin manager

-mbien

Posted by Chris <ch...@gmx.net>.
Hey,

as far as I can remember, signed plugins are shown in the plugin manager
of NetBeans itself. This was the point under oracle. Dunno whether this
changed or not.

Cheers

Chris

Am 20.02.2023 um 21:28 schrieb Eric Bresie:
> Isn’t the whole reason for signed plugins to ensure they are provided by a
> trusted source and not tampered with by bad actors?  If no signing, does
> that add a risk of possible tainted plugins with malicious intent?
>
> Eric
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 1:37 PM Matthias Bläsing
> <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jiří,
>>
>> Am Freitag, dem 17.02.2023 um 18:49 +0100 schrieb Jiří Kovalský:
>>>      Anyway, I can give the context here. :) About two months ago Mani
>>> (Cc:ed here) joined the team of plugin verifiers as a new volunteer and
>>> during the introductory call with him we talked about whether plugins
>>> should be signed. As per the Plugin Verification specification [1] the
>>> installation instructions only mention:
>>>
>>> 1.8 If validation warning about self-signed certificate is displayed,
>>> accept it by clicking Continue button.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>>
>> https://synergy.netbeans.apache.org/#/title/verification_of_apache_netbeans_plugin/
>>> It says nothing about not signed plugins but we came to the conclusion
>>> that if self-signed plugins are explicitly tolerated then not-signed one
>>> should not.
>>>
>>> However, if you and Neil think that the signature check should be
>>> excluded completely and NetBeans community supports it, let's remove it.
>>> And even more if the whole verification process is seen as useless then
>>> let's have an official community voting and then get rid of it!
>> I have mixed feeling about this, but my surprise did not come from the
>> requirement to sign the package, but from the change in policy. If the
>> plugin had not been approved multiple time before, I might have just
>> shrugged if off, this way it felt very irritating.
>>
>> Anyway, I want to focus on other things, so for now lets keep it as is.
>> Seems to be working.
>>
>>> As an immediate fix I have changed my NoGo to Go for all your 3 plugins
>>> and hereby ask Carlos/Geertjan/Mani to do the same if they agree.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Matthias

>> --
> Eric Bresie
> ebresie@gmail.com

Re: [External] : No communication from plugin portal verifiers (do we need to drop plugin portal?)

Posted by ma...@gmail.com.
Good morning/Evening,
I am late to the party and would like to add why I gave a no-go because the
plugin was not signed.
This from history and relates to my own published plugins in previous
releases.
I was given no-go because the plugin was not signed. ON re-submitting a
signed(self-signed) plugin it was approved.
I followed the same practice in giving your plugins a no-go with similar
advice.

*Cheers*
Mani/Naren/Iyer
*The trick of walking on water is knowing where the stones are.*

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
Isn’t the whole reason for signed plugins to ensure they are provided by a
trusted source and not tampered with by bad actors?  If no signing, does
that add a risk of possible tainted plugins with malicious intent?

Eric

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 1:37 PM Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:

> Hi Jiří,
>
> Am Freitag, dem 17.02.2023 um 18:49 +0100 schrieb Jiří Kovalský:
> >     Anyway, I can give the context here. :) About two months ago Mani
> > (Cc:ed here) joined the team of plugin verifiers as a new volunteer and
> > during the introductory call with him we talked about whether plugins
> > should be signed. As per the Plugin Verification specification [1] the
> > installation instructions only mention:
> >
> > 1.8 If validation warning about self-signed certificate is displayed,
> > accept it by clicking Continue button.
> >
> > [1]
> >
> https://synergy.netbeans.apache.org/#/title/verification_of_apache_netbeans_plugin/
> >
> > It says nothing about not signed plugins but we came to the conclusion
> > that if self-signed plugins are explicitly tolerated then not-signed one
> > should not.
> >
> > However, if you and Neil think that the signature check should be
> > excluded completely and NetBeans community supports it, let's remove it.
> > And even more if the whole verification process is seen as useless then
> > let's have an official community voting and then get rid of it!
>
> I have mixed feeling about this, but my surprise did not come from the
> requirement to sign the package, but from the change in policy. If the
> plugin had not been approved multiple time before, I might have just
> shrugged if off, this way it felt very irritating.
>
> Anyway, I want to focus on other things, so for now lets keep it as is.
> Seems to be working.
>
> > As an immediate fix I have changed my NoGo to Go for all your 3 plugins
> > and hereby ask Carlos/Geertjan/Mani to do the same if they agree.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Greetings
>
> Matthias

Eric Bresie
ebresie@gmail.com

Re: [External] : No communication from plugin portal verifiers (do we need to drop plugin portal?)

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi Jiří,

Posted by Jiří Kovalský <ji...@oracle.com>.
Hi Matthias,

    first of all sorry for not reacting to your question sooner but I
was busy lately so I didn't check the list and the direct message for
some reason didn't end up in the Inbox too. :(

    Anyway, I can give the context here. :) About two months ago Mani
(Cc:ed here) joined the team of plugin verifiers as a new volunteer and
[...]

Hope this helps,
-Jirka

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi again,

Re: NetBeans Plugin Verification - Changing Rules - suddenly not good enough anymore

Posted by Moacir da Roza <mo...@gmail.com>.
Ahh sorry Matthias Bläsing and Fabian Bahle.
I read again and understand.

Posted by Fabian Bahle <in...@funfried.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Moacir da Roza <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 20:08, Matthias Bläsing
<mb...@doppel-helix.eu.invalid> wrote:
> yes, I know how I can sign JARs/NBMs, the point is: This was not
> necessary for multiple NetBeans releases. I'm missing the explanation
> why something, that was fine for at least 5, releases is now a problem.
>
> That communication did not happen and was not discussed here.

Welcome to the "verification process isn't working" side of the
conversation! :-)

Yes, this doesn't seem right.  These things should be discussed on dev@

We're about to switch to the NB17 plugin portal for 17-rc3 (as agreed
with plugin portal verifiers off-list - so far we kept NB16 portal).
The more existing plugins that are verified the better.  It's one way
of checking if we've introduced inadvertent changes in the IDE since
the last release.

IMO there are two main reasons a plugin that was verified for the last
release shouldn't be in this one.  The plugin was using implementation
versions, in which case it shouldn't have been verified in the first
place.  Or we broke backwards compatibility, deliberately or
inadvertently, and should consider the problem.

Other than that, if it was verified fine for 16 I don't see a reason
to apply different rules to 17?!

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: NetBeans Plugin Verification - Changing Rules - suddenly not good enough anymore

Posted by Matthias Bläsing <mb...@doppel-helix.eu.INVALID>.
Hi,

Posted by Moacir da Roza <mo...@gmail.com>.