Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com> on 2003/09/16 14:11:08 UTC

My Italian is not as good as yours

Ciaco,

I am goint to commit a first version of i18n within forrest.

In this version I am going to focus just on menus/tabs so I used the
data from our fresh site to test it.

I choose two languages to test: Spanish and Italian (feel free to
forward more) But I would like anyone with a bit more knowledge to
verify for me.

Circa,Soddisfaredoes look right to me

Cheers,
Cheche

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
Here is the first file to be translated:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/webapp/samples/i18n/translations/messages.xml

and here goes the second one which is optional:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/cocoon-2.1/src/webapp/samples/i18n/translations/menu.xml

All is needed to be done is to replace the text values with italian ones
then add two files to the translation directory (message_it.xml and
menu_it.xml).

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Juan Jose Pablos dijo:

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Konstantin Piroumian dijo:

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 14:23 Europe/Rome, Juan Jose Pablos
wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>> remember: lazyness is a virtue ;-)
>
> So Is this how you translated "lazy person" in Italian?
>
> "virtuous person"
>
> I thought that the only reason of why you did not translate this was
> because you were busy driving vespa motobikes [1], flirting with
> ladies and listening "la dolce vita" song.

no, no, I've beeing playing football, after eating spaghetti, with a
bunch of mafia friends, talking loud and gesticulating like mad.

:-)

God, I hate italian stereotypes. I don't like football (played
basketball semi-professinally) and I don't even drink coffee! And
everytime somebody comes to know that, they *all* say: "how come an
italian that doesn't drink coffee".

hopeless

--
Stefano.

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

[1] http://home-2.consunet.nl/~cb003819/

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 16:19 Europe/Rome, Konstantin Piroumian
wrote:

> Oh, those italians so lazy.
> There are about 20 translations in i18n samples in Cocoon, but no a
> single
> italian word among them.

:-)

to tell you the truth, I started doing that at least a few times... but
then thought, hey, what the hell, let somebody else do it... remember:
lazyness is a virtue ;-)

--
Stefano.

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Konstantin Piroumian <kp...@apache.org>.
Oh, those italians so lazy.
There are about 20 translations in i18n samples in Cocoon, but no a single
italian word among them.

;)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.
Thanks!

>> Circa,Soddisfaredoes look right to me

I wanted to say the opposive. BTW

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, Sep 17, 2003, at 14:56 Europe/Rome, Antonio Gallardo
wrote:

> Juan Jose Pablos dijo:
>> Dave Brondsema wrote:
>>>
>>> I always thought "sobre" could be used for this concept in Spanish.
>
> The most used is:
>
> "Acerca de"
>
> But I agree also with Cheche (see below).

Yes, this is the exact translation of "Riguardo a" in italian (doesn't
surprise me, spanish and italian are very similiar), that, in english,
would be translated as "regarding".

But this is getting offtopic so let's cut it off.

--
Stefano.

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Juan Jose Pablos dijo:

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net - personal
http://www.splike.com - programming

Re: My Italian is not as good as yours

Posted by Juan Jose Pablos <ch...@che-che.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
On Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003, at 14:11 Europe/Rome, Juan Jose Pablos wrote:

> Ciaco,
>
> I am goint to commit a first version of i18n within forrest.
>
> In this version I am going to focus just on menus/tabs so I used the
> data from our fresh site to test it.
>
> I choose two languages to test: Spanish and Italian (feel free to
> forward more) But I would like anyone with a bit more knowledge to
> verify for me.
>
> Circa,Soddisfaredoes look right to me
>
> Cheers,
> Cheche
>

> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>   <catalogue xml:lang="it">
>      <message key="About">Circa</message>
>      <message key="Index">Indice</message>
>      <message key="Changes">Cambiamenti</message>
>      <message key="Todo">Cose da fare</message>

right so far

>      <message key="Samples">Campioni</message>

No, "Esempi" (as in "examples") is better. "Campioni" are samples when
you are sampling a signal.

>      <message key="Apache document page">Pagina Apache
> document</message>

ok

>      <message key="Static content">Soddisfare statico</message>

??? Soddisfare is "to satisfy". nono, the above should be "Contenuto
Statico"

>      <message key="Wiki page">Pagina Wiki</message>
>      <message key="ihtml page">Pagina ihtml</message>
>      <message key="ehtml page">Pagina ehtml</message>
>      <message key="FAQ">Domande frequenti</message>
>      <message key="Simplifed Docbook page">Pagina Simplifed
> Docbook</message>
>      <message key="XSP page">Pagina XSP</message>

no problems here

HTH

--
Stefano.