Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1997/06/13 07:00:05 UTC

Apache and Java support (fwd)

I think the JSDK-Apache link has the potential to be very important to
us, strategically.  I think we all agree binding Java too closely to
the core is a bad direction; but that somehow providing a bridge to
the Apache API to Java applets would be a Good Thing, and this seems
to be the leading candidate of the various Apache-Java bridges that
have come about.  There is also obviously developer enthusiasm for
working on this - Organic has invested a fair bit in building apps on
Jeeves and using ProxyPass to link them through Apache, and so we'd be
able to commit resources along these lines too.

I'd like to propose an apache-jsdk mailing list to parallel the core
development effort.  Parallelizing them makes sense here, whereas it
didn't with NT, since NT is to be integrated into the core.  I don't
anticipate it being huge volume so hosting on hyperreal would be fine.

What do people think?

In the meantime I invited the fellow below to join the full
developer's list, appraised him of our current situation, and told him
I'd bring it up here.

	Brian